Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have the option of purchasing a 86 Fleetwood, for 800$ obo *in canadian funds* and I was wondering if that would be a good deal? also..is there anything I should look out for with these cars? any major engine issues I should check out before I purchase it, etc etc also..if someone could list any info on these cars, it would be much appreciated.
thank you!
I snapped a couple pictures of it last night.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of all the people on the forums, nobody knows anything or has any links for reference on this car? :confused:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Such as, I've been looking at some pictures of these cars, and noticed they have basic gauges, but this one has digital gauges, does that mean its some sort of different model?

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Alright, heres a good place where you can find specs:
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/T.../cadindex.html
The FWD Fleetwood rides a 110.8" wheelbase, is 195.2" long, weighs 3364,
and is "powered" by the HT4100 V8. 125hp @4200 rpm and 190 lb/ft @ 2200 rpm. A V8 W/ 125HP????? Yes thats right, and its very unreliable. he most common problem with these engines is neglect. If the coolant did not get changed on schedule and the required supplement added, there is a strong chance of head warp and coolant leaks into the cylinders. And
That said, reliability in the form of internal coolant seepage was the main factor in the 4.1 engine. And from what I understand, it was mainly an intake gasket problem, not the headgaskets...Though the later did happen.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ok, thank you very much for the reply..altho, the link you gave me doesnt work :(

Sorry, the page you requested was not found.

Is there a way I can tell if there is head warp and antifreeze leaking into the cylinders without pulling it apart?
one way I can think of, is start it and see if I can smell the antifreeze through the exhaust.
also, perhaps a very "boggy" motor?

Because I will be going to check out this car tonight

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh ok, I seen the other thread, and the link works from there, so I will check it out, thanks! also.. if anyone else has more info, stuff to look out for, etc, let me know :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, went and checked out the caddy tonight.. I went there with high hopes! but sadly to say... I drove back home with 1 car...

We started up the car, engine sounded healthy, no knocks or anything, seemed to run smooth... but I noticed the lights would flicker with the rpm, and dim with the turn signal on. Ok..so probably an alternator, cheap fix..
After looking at the gauges for awhile, I started hearing some chime, like a door bell... I look back at the dash, and the STOP, ENGINE OVERHEATING light was on.. I thought to myself.. OH GREAT! ..so I quickly turned the car off, and went back under the hood, opened the rad cap, and Hmmm...well, there was no coolant visible.. so I went back into the used car dealership and asked for some coolant, fired the car back up, and dumped the whole jug into the rad, and it still wasnt completely full..after staring at the engine bay for awhile, I noticed the rad was smoking.. like it was burning the antifreeze inside the rad or something, so I kept that in mind, and inspected the engine a little further, I noticed that it had a nasty head leak, there was antifreeze all over under the head, so, I turned the car back off, and gave the guy back his keys and thanked him for his time, and went home... But, I must say.. after looking at this caddy, I WANT ONE! so I will continue my search, in hopes of finding a nice caddy for reasonable price.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
yeah typical 4.1, If you really want a newer caddy, I would recommend going with something thats atleast a 1989, cuz its the newer, better looking bodies, and its got the good 4.5, but basically any FWD caddy from 1989-1992 is going to be very reliable with the 4.5 or 4.9 V8. And any of the RWD Broughams that are from 1986 or newer are very reliable. I would recommend the Brougham for its reliablility, but its not as modern as the FWD Cadillacs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts