Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I entered a realm not known to me. This is the realm of the gigantic auto owner. I had never driven a cadillac before this one. All of my previous cars have been small (ie: 2 1992 Honda Civic hatchbacks, 1990 VW Golf, 1987 VW Jetta.) I love it! You just sail down the road aiming the huge front end wherever you want to go. No more being pushed into the next lane because of wind gusts. I'm very pleased. However when I saw this car up on the auction block, I had to own it. I recently sold my civic to pay for a semester at school and needed something to get me around. I went to the Capital Auto Auction in Manchester, NH. A great place to find cheap cars / boats. The Brougham was the 2nd to last car to go up, and most of the bidders had gone home. The place gets pretty cold, it's a big warehouse with no heat. And November in New Hampshire sucks. So it turns out I am the only one bidding on the car and get it for $35 dollars!!! (starting bid on all cars.) I was so happy, I drove it home the next day. Now as you might expect this car has a few problems. Most of the cars at the auction are donated to the Salvation Army or some other charity. However this Caddy seems in pretty decent shape. Theres only 88000 miles on it. When I step on the gas pedal it goes. It does need a few things to pass inspection that I plan on getting fixed, but some of it I would like to do myself...

- The Emergency/Parking brake is stuck all the way up, I can't get it to budge, even with almost all my weight on it, after a few tried I was afraid I was going to snap it so I stopped. I have no idea how to adjust this or if I need a new brake?

- The Engine Warning light is on. I looked at some posts and tried "turning the car to run position, press off and warm sim." after a few seconds the display went blank, no numbers came up. Was this car manufactured before that feature was available (1986)? Is there another way I can find out the problem, or will I have to take it to a mechanic?

- When the car is in park and going in reverse there seems to be a scraping noise, you can not hear it from outside the car (maybe because I need to install a new muffler, lol). However the noise goes away when I shift the car into drive, and it is not the brakes because the car isnt even moving! It sounds like its coming from beneath the car, not from the engine. I know a little about hondas, but absolutely nothing about cadillacs. I dont think its serious, it could be something as little as adding oil somewhere (tranny?).

- This one doesnt need to be fixed to pass inspection, but it's a pain. The drivers seat will not go forward or backward!! The person who owned it before me must have been my size, because it's a good distance to the pedals for me. But not even a little tiny adjustment is possible. Also the seat reclines back, but will not go forward. I have to watch out that I dont hit the button to many times or Im gonna be laying down when I drive. All the other motions work, up down, front up/down, all the little adjustments that I think are excessive work, and the ones I really need crapped out on me. Is there a fuse that could have blown? or do I need a new motor for the seat adjustment? Or loose wires?

- When the car turns off there is a fan blowing and it doesnt stop. I read some other posts, and found it to be the A/C "something or other" I dont get very technical with names. But I disconnected it and I don't think I get a/c anymore, but I have a battery that works now. When it starts getting hot again I'll buy the part, but as long as it doesnt mess anything else up it's staying that way.

I think thats it. Hey some pretty minor problems for a $70 cadillac! (I hope there minor) I have some pictures but dont have my camera on me right now. I'll put them up if anyone is interested. I know the post is pretty long, but I wanted to try to give at least a little detail on the problems. This is a great forum. So much useful info. Well Thanks, hope someone knows how to solve these problems!

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Well you are a lucky guy..... Id take a $35 cadillac anyday!!!!!

Check www.caddyinfo.com for the HT4100 diagnostic stuff..... I dont know anything about taht, but I know theres a section about it on that site.......

Unfortunately, I cant think very well right now, so Ill try and think tomorrow!! Most of my posts tonight have been mindless ramblings...... :D

Welcome to the forums.... Thanks for signing up :wave:

·
Banned
7,971 Posts
I think you're going to have to just get down and dirty and look into all of them except the engine warning light. The engine warning light should throw a code, but since you can't read the code, the first thing you should probably do is check all the fluid levels and belts and the like.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Can't beat that price!

Parking brake cables like to seize up if they don't get used a lot. Try pulling the cables underneath the car and see if they move. If it doesn't you should probably just have to replace the cables that are seized. But sometimes you can get them unseized.

The code checking should have been around then since it was around before that. My '91 has a different climate control system so I don't know what yours should do once you hold down the off and warmer keys to get into it.

The seat adjustments could be a few things. You'll probably end up getting a volt meter that reads ohms to check the switches and the wiring. I don't think there'd be a fuse just for those things that don't work anymore but maybe there is :confused:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks

Hey thanks. I'll check for that cable tomorrow. I believe thats the only thing I need to pass the inspection. Then I'm packing all my stuff into it and moving to school down in FL. yeaaaahhhhh, warm weather.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went to www.caddyinfo.com. A guy there gave me something to try to check the diagnostics. (Unfortunately, the ECMs used in the Olds V8 equipped models is not compatible with the Climate Control head unit.* To retrieve the* Diagnostic Trouble Codes, put the ECM in diagnostic mode by grounding the diagnostic lead (pin B) of the ALDL connector (under the instrument panel, just to the right of centre).* Since pin A is ground, use a short length of wire or a paperclip to bridge pins A & B, then turn the ignition switch to the run position.* The DTCs are reported (in a numerically ascending order) via flashes of the Check Engine Light, punctuated by short and long pauses.) So I am going to try this tomorrow and see what happens.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Congratulations! I also have an '86 Fleetwood Brougham, which I bought in September. I've spent the past couple months with it, coming up with a list of problems and things I need to address to make it "perfect."

·
Registered
52 Posts
The power seat that doesn't work might just be some bad electrical motors, connections, or a bad fuse. Start with connections. If they are good, try a fuse. If that doesn't work, it will need new motors. These can be found under the seat of another car like yours in a junkyard.

The engine warning light is probably some bad emissions stuff. Possibly an oxygen sensor? It is likely not something that will cause you to break down. It would not be surprising if something needed to be cleaned in your emissions system in a car of that age.

Florida does not have vehicle emissions inspections. This may be good news for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts