Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So before I go into this I was driving around with a bad battery apparently and once I changed it to a new one no charge went away and I was pretty stoaked but after a couple of days there it goes again. So I think from driving around with a bum battery it damaged my alternator so it doesnt charge the battery now. Ive inspected it and the belts are on nicely and no squeaking/weird sounds or fraying.
I was just curious what the steps were to replacing this, is there anything to take into consideration? The mechanics manual is very brief on changing it with only a small paragraph on replacing it. All i need to do is follow the instructions on the tension and torque? Ive heard theres a smog pump under the alternator that can damage the new alternator if not tension-ed correctly. If anyone has any recommendation on a new alternator and how to install correctly that worked for yall that would be great. Thank you!

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
20,125 Posts
So before I go into this I was driving around with a bad battery apparently and once I changed it to a new one no charge went away and I was pretty stoaked but after a couple of days there it goes again. So I think from driving around with a bum battery it damaged my alternator so it doesnt charge the battery now. Ive inspected it and the belts are on nicely and no squeaking/weird sounds or fraying.
I was just curious what the steps were to replacing this, is there anything to take into consideration? The mechanics manual is very brief on changing it with only a small paragraph on replacing it. All i need to do is follow the instructions on the tension and torque? Ive heard theres a smog pump under the alternator that can damage the new alternator if not tension-ed correctly. If anyone has any recommendation on a new alternator and how to install correctly that worked for yall that would be great. Thank you!
=====================
tighten the belt -
if you think it is tight enough -
make it tighter -

·
Registered
1985 Eldorado ASC convertible, HT4100
1,110 Posts
Hey Zunzulo, my alternator died a few years ago. As I recall, removal and replacement was very easy. I just bought a NAPA reman because NAPA was close by. I think it was 80 or 100 amps. I could check if you want. Still working fine. Some will argue a more expensive, more powerful Bosch is worth it.

For install I just made the belt rather tight — a little less than as tight as I could get it. There are belt tension gauges but I didn't bother. I think there's a spec in the FSM like "0.X inches of movement." I winged it with a finger pull. If that'll bug you, get a tension gauge.

Did you check the voltage at the battery when the car is running to confirm your alternator isn't charging properly? Should be a little higher than 14 volts. Worth checking before you replace it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts