Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Eldorado Biarritz Convertible, Sable Black, HT4100
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, the hits keep coming... while I had the front driver’s side wheel off, I decided to replace my crappy looking sway bar end links. Driver’s side link was rusted and rubber looked awful. Impact driver broke the bolt apart in three different ways. Tried to thread the new end link in and realized it wasn’t happening. Unscrewed driver’s side sway bar bushing mount, then also passenger mount... didn’t help. Figured I’d have to lower the car and once lowered it would line up. Unfortunately no. I’ve done this on another car and it was easier than pie.

Now my options are have the end link (minus one cup washer) but no driver side subframe bushing mount, or have both subframe bushing mounts, but no driver endlink. It’s not even close. I didn’t see any tricks or step-by-steps in the FSM.

Best I could find on the forum was this post. My ACDelco links look just like those in the picture:
Sway Bar Links

I’m not sure what year that guy had. But he says raising at the control arm worked for him. Is that the trick? Attach both bushing mounts, raise at driver’s side control arm, and then I can install link on driver’s side? Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A friend tells me attempting to connect sway bar end links with just one side lifted/jack-standed (jack-stood?) is impossible. Need both sides lifted. So I'll try that soon.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PSA: I forgot the 1984-85 convertible has the TC's thicker sway bar... which is why the base bushings I bought don't fit...

·
Registered
96 FWB
879 Posts
With weight off both sides, a floor jack can jack some weight into the LCA of the side already connected (the further outboard, the better, and careful not to damage the BJ or its zerk) to raise the bar a bit to connect the opposing side.

I've also installed the last side with one or two bushings left out, gotten it wrenched down to close to final set ht., then used a large c-clamp to hold things together, then undone the bolt and re-installed with all the pieces.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sweet. Thanks FTSS. I'll try that.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got it back on. I didn’t have the right C-clamp but came up with a different way. Didn’t need to lift the control arm, but might have helped that my passenger shock was removed.

First I removed both end links, impact driver helps with rust. With one side (passenger) of car lifted, I put a cardboard box under the sway bar to catch it. Undid both sway bar bushing mounts, sway bar falls. With a fully free sway bar, I got one end link on (driver side) no problem. Second one was the hard part.

The trick was cranking the end link nut without the last cup washer on to shrink it lengthwise, then clamp the bottom bushing with locking pliers to hold the bushing up there on the bolt. Then the washer and nut fit on. The rest is cake with a floor jack to push the sway bar back up to the mounts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts