Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1985 eldorado Barritz
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read the posts on this forum about how to fix and align the gear selector,but it says to remove the wood piece from under the steering column. My wood piece under the column is one piece I think. Do I have to remove the whole steering column.It looks like there is no gasket like the fsm says,Any help to align this gears selector would be appreciated., Could I just pull it out the wood from the bottom and maybe then work on the gear shift lever.

Thanks Again Jimbo

----------

Well I got the botm of the steering column wood pice removed. I see 2 rubber pieces on each side but I do not see anything else to adjust.I feeled around but nothing Help please.Thanks Jimbo

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,783 Posts
Been so long since I've owned an '85 I can't even picture what you are talking about. :noidea:

·
Registered
Eldorado
448 Posts
I have read the posts on this forum about how to fix and align the gear selector,but it says to remove the wood piece from under the steering column. My wood piece under the column is one piece I think. Do I have to remove the whole steering column.It looks like there is no gasket like the fsm says,Any help to align this gears selector would be appreciated., Could I just pull it out the wood from the bottom and maybe then work on the gear shift lever.

[/COLOR]Well I got the botm of the steering column wood pice removed. I see 2 rubber pieces on each side but I do not see anything else to adjust.I feeled around but nothing Help please.Thanks Jimbo
Generally your indicator in the speedo is connected to fish line that comes out and wraps around
the outer part of the column, where it is secured by a push on clip. Moving the clip will align the
pointer, no need to remove the column.

However, this rarely needs to be done. What I have experienced is problems with the linkage
from the column to the trans. The column arm operates a push rod, which operates a pivot
around the corner, then another pushrod to the trans arm. The rubber bushing(s) in the pushrods
can fail leaving a very loose linkage. Do make sure these are in good order before adjusting
the indicator. Bruce Roe

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
Before going crazy have a close look at the dash components for any sign that anything has been apart before. Quite often the indicator doesn't line up perfectly for all gears and the service manual will say the shifter needs to be in a certain position before the clip is reattaced. If someone skipped that step in can also be off. Sometimes that wire can also stretch with age and use.

·
Registered
1979 Eldorado
21 Posts
I have not seen these for sale, but, I used fairly hard plastic tubing that fit the rod ends well. So far so good.
When I got the car. The safety was criminal, in my opinion.from BRAKES PLUS in Orangeville Ontario. It is a long list so I'll only comment about the shifting. There was so much slop in the shifter that it was
very easy to start the engine in gear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts