Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had the factory delco taken out and an new kenwood put in.
The old delco got terrible reception ( a few stations tuned in but not that great), which I chalked up to the radio being 22 yrs old.

Well, the new Kenwood gets the same crappy reception. do you think the antenna is bad??

How tough are the power antenna's to change??
Thx
Tony

·
Registered
2008 SRX
403 Posts
Check the connections near the antenna first. I don't think I've ever seen an antenna bad in that regard. You have an open or short in the coax lead probably. The antenna comes out through a hole in the RH fender after you move the hood hinge. Look at the coax lead in that area and if you don't see anything, follow the lead into the car.

·
Registered
90 Eldo -SOLD-, 98 ETC -SOLD-, 86 XR4Ti Track Car, 07 Ranger
963 Posts
I did a writeup recently on newer (98) antenna install using an aftermarket 2 position relay on GM's gloriously overcomplicated 3 position relay, as soon as I get my 90 out of storage I'm going to install a power one since I put a junky non-power on. Unfortunately I don't have the factory service manual for my 90 on hand to look at the wiring diagram, if you can post a pic of the wire connectors to your antenna, or give me a number of how many wires go in and what colors they are I can probably help you out, I just don't know if it's a 2 or 3 position relay switch...

Here's my writeup, the first 2 pics are the ones from the antenna kit, the second 2 are from my factory service manual
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/110436-aftermarket-antenna-adaptation-help.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
here is what cadillac-tech wrote in the post above:

"The antenna comes out through a hole in the RH fender after you move the hood hinge."

How do i move the hood hinge? Do I have to remove the entire hood, or just support it somehow when I loosen the hinge? Seems very odd place for the antenna!

Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts