Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1985 DeVille 4.1 gas
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello what is the best way to clean the end of the fiber optic cable located in the center of the plug for the headlights, thanks

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
20,109 Posts
Hello what is the best way to clean the end of the fiber optic cable located in the center of the plug for the headlights, thanks
==================
the direct answer is a couple drops of rubbing alcohol on a Q-Tip -
BUT - don't be too disappointed when that doesn't help brighten/lighten the indicator on the fender -

over the years the fiber optic cable has probably cracked/broken in several places -
thus loosing the ability to transfer as much light through it when compared to new -
ALSO - the plastic lens that the fiber-optic cable plugs into has gotten cloudy - compared to new -

·
Registered
'85 Sedan de Ville, '10 CTS-V
593 Posts
Isopropanol, aka rubbing alcohol, is what I was about to suggest, but never tried it on these optic cables. For some reason CH3CHOHCH3 seems to dissolve the plastic on PS3 controllers.

Those signal indicators in the fenders were painted over by a shop when I had her repainted. I bought replacements, maybe the last two in the country, but never installed them. Now I’ve gone and misplaced them... Sigh.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,433 Posts
I've never tried it, but you might try cutting 1/16" of the end to give you a clean tip.

·
Registered
92 Fleetwood 2dr cpe - FWD, 96 Seville SLS, 02 Seville
1,026 Posts
Picked up extras whenever I see them. Sitting in parts bin in the storage shed , somewhere, somewhere over the mountain.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts