Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Sedan, 85 Brougham de 'Elegance (59k), 94 Seville
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. everyone.
My roommate has finally decided to get the "Great White Beast" back on the road. I used to drive it until I put 175 miles on it in one day and he had a fit :rolleyes: ! So, it has sat in the garage for two years and now he wants to sell it and put our 1991 (pristine) Sedan 66k. on that sideof the garage and our latest purchase '92 Eldo Touring Coupe on the other side. (Yes, I drive both cars and do not care about mileage :p )

What I need to know is some things that should be done since this car has not even been started in 2 years? I suggest he just roll the beast down the drive and have it towed to the dealer.
What do you think?

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
2 years the gas is probably bad........ Other than that, if its been in a temperate garage, I dont think its gonna be too bad........ The oil should be changed also.......

I dont think much else you'll need to worry about....... Obviously, before starting , your gonna wanna check everything over.......

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Obviously the battery is also going to need some attention........if it wasnt on stands the tires are going to need reinflation (and the tires should probably be replaced) obviously dont start her up and go autocrossing, take it real easy on her...

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Chances are it's gonna run a little rough at first (even after fresh fuel is added). The injectors have a tendancy to clog up in these situations, and the lifters may have bled down some. With any luck, all will slowly come back.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Might run some injector cleaner through the first tank.....

Techron is the best OTS stuff, and BG44k is the best money can buy.....

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
The guy that bought my dad's 12,ooo mile 442 Olds let it sit for a couple of years in a garage, and he developed a couple of leaks because the gaskets became brittle and dry from lack of use. He needed a new waterpump seal and some other gasket. We have another car without plates and I always fire it up every couple of months no matter what season it is just to "wet" the gaskets, etc. It's kinda like when they say to run the AC for 5 minutes each month, no matter the season, to circulate the oil to wet the seals so the freon doesn't leak out.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
when my dad went to start his '74 Grand Prix after it sat for 14 outside, he just put a battery in it, put gas in the tank, put gas in the carb, got in, turned the key and after about 10 seconds it started right up, we drove it around the parking lot too, it's rusted, running on 7cyl. only the front brakes work, half the stuff in the car is sticky for some reason.....but it started right up, even the tires didn't loose any air...... that was his first and only car he ever bought brand new, I guess he wants to restore it someday has the 400 4bbl, only 1 of about 14 old Pontiacs he has....

.....honeslty 2 years isn't much, all the cars around the place there sit forever and we start them right up, we have a '70 Fleetwood limo wh the 472 also, and a '78 Lincoln limo, and many other cars/trucks. I would just put a battery in, gas and drive it around and let eveything come back for a bit.

·
Registered
91 Sedan, 85 Brougham de 'Elegance (59k), 94 Seville
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info! trans seal must have dried up as there is the slick of fluid under the car.(red) . It just kills me to see this car sitting there. She is triple white with blue interior trim and has most every option (de Elegance). When she ran she would float down the road and I never head trouble pulling into traffic with her....i think everyone slowed down for fear of being crushed by all that steal (LOL)
Once We get her up and running I'll let you know how it went.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts