Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1985 eldorado
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1985 eldorado with the 4.1 engine. the car was purchased by my father with 5000 miles on it it was a dealer demonstrator car that was purchsed at the local cadillac dealer. as part of the deal to purchase cadillac included an extended warranty covering the engine. well at 32,000 miles the coolant got into the engine and ruined the camshaft. we were 300 miles from home when this happened. we went to the local caddy dealer where we were and they looked at the car and said drive it home and go to our cadillac dealer where car was purchased. they installed a new engine under the warranty. i have the car now and it has 62,000 original miles on it and runs great. the engine has about 32,000. my question is did cadillac do anything to improve that problem when installing new engines or could this happen again. i have been told the later 4.1 engines were better but i don't know. thought maybe some here would know thanks

·
Registered
1985 Seville
330 Posts
If you have the mechanical aptitude i would change the intake gasket just for the peace of mind. IMHO the materials have probably improved in 30 years.

·
Registered
70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
3,310 Posts
Did the 4.1 come with cheap gaskets like Buicks? I wonder why they gave the 4.9 better gaskets? I have a 94 Buick with the cheap gaskets and I get my oil analyzed every other oil change or so. They always detect some coolant in my oil but I never have to add any coolant and the cooling system is always full. If I planned to keep the car I "might" change the gaskets but I would rather wait until I actually see the coolant level go down.

If you want peace of mind I would get you oil analyzed to see if there is any trace of coolant in it. If you analyze the oil every oil change or every other you will be able to catch it before any damage. If your car got the sealant tab treatment then it probably won't leak. If it hasn't got the sealant tab treatment then you should search the threads in this forum before you make up your mind to do it. Most don't recommend it. I figure if it had it once it should last the life of the engine. If it never had it I wouldn't have a problem with a half dose.

I also heard that the replacement engines were improved in some way but I don't remember how at the moment.

·
Registered
1985 Sedan DeVille
1,883 Posts
Good advice on the oil analysis

My 4.1 had some contamination problems, replaced the intake gasket and did some other stuff, and the next analysis showed it just got worse. The 4.1 just has a lot of structural problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts