Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car is a 51,000 mile cherry and has the Twilight Sentinal (which works well) and the "auto-dim" feature. Whether the auto-dim is turned on or off, one cannot get the hi-beams to stay on unless one holds the directional light lever/hi-beam switch lever up (toward the driver). Upon release, the lights go back to low beam. The actual hi/low switch (in the steering column) was replaced with no effect. Also, the "auto-dim" function does nothing regardless of where it is set and regardless of light conditions.

Any helpful thoughts?

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
Wait, you don't have system with the black button switch under the parking brake?

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
The Auto Dimming Set Up Is To Have The Auto Dimming Switch Off, Then Activate The Hi Beams, Then Turn On The Auto Dimming. If You Have The Auto Dimming System On, And The Dimmer Switch On Low Beam You Wont Be Able To Engage The Hi Beams With The Lever. If The Hi Beams Cannt Be Activated At All, Auto Dimming Off, I Would Ck The Rod Going To The Dimmer Switch On The Side Of The Column. Misadjusted?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
davesdeville said:
Wait, you don't have system with the black button switch under the parking brake?
Dave - if you mean a floor-mounted dimmer switch, no I do not have one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
carnut said:
The Auto Dimming Set Up Is To Have The Auto Dimming Switch Off, Then Activate The Hi Beams, Then Turn On The Auto Dimming. If You Have The Auto Dimming System On, And The Dimmer Switch On Low Beam You Wont Be Able To Engage The Hi Beams With The Lever. If The Hi Beams Cannt Be Activated At All, Auto Dimming Off, I Would Ck The Rod Going To The Dimmer Switch On The Side Of The Column. Misadjusted?

Thanks carnut! One idea you have given me is to carefully read the manual - I have never known the correct procedure for using the auto-dim although I've had 3 Caddies with it as an option.

But in truth, with the auto-dim "Off," the high beams can be engaged only by holding the lever in the "up" position - as soon as it is released, they go back to low beam.

I will check the rod you refer to and report back in a couple days.

·
Registered
Cadillac
32 Posts
I've got the exact same problem with 83 Fleetwood.Have replaced switch,checked rod and lever seems O.K.

Watching with great interest!!

Hoonbash

1 - 6 of 6 Posts