Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1984 Eldorado
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey to All. I replaced the trunk pull down mechanism on my 84 Eldo. I found the exact part (complete assembly) on eBay and mechanically it was plug and play. It's a 3 pin connector. When I plugged it in, the motor whirred to life and drove the latch to the up position. At this point I'm very optimistic that this will be easy. But when I closed the trunk lid............nothing. Nada. I have read through all the previous threads and it seems the paddle switch is the culprit. Or secondly the ground. Before I start that little job, is there a way to test the thing? Since the mounts between the assembly and the frame are made of plastic, the ground must be in one of the three pin connectors. And then the two others are positives which switch between "up" and "down". So theoretically I should be able to test with a battery to drive the thing in both directions, right? Unless the ground is made when the trunk lid latch hits the pull down latch. But if it is the paddle switch my tests will be useless because no current is going to get past it. Anyway, any clever ideas would be appreciated. At this point the trunk is closed in the up position and although not perfect, it's not an emergency. I just want everything to work as it should. Thanks.

·
Registered
1984 Eldorado Biarritz
1,265 Posts
The ground is accomplished by the latch. When the arm reaches full travel in either direction, there should be an audible click-this is the motor preparing to reverse direction for the next time you open/close the trunk. If that click is not heard, it won't pull down.

·
Registered
1984 Eldorado
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only audible click is the metal trunk lid latch closing around the trunk frame latch. Then nothing. I still have the paddle switch from the other assembly. I'm going to try and change it to see if it will work. But I would like to figure out how to test it. If I could get it to a good position, I would disconnect it and let it be. My problem is it won't close when it's all the way down. Somewhere a little higher would be better. I guess this is why we love our Caddy's.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,430 Posts
Disassemble that paddle switch and clean the contacts. I'd bet that is all it needs.

·
Registered
1985 Eldorado ASC convertible, HT4100
1,109 Posts
BigBird, I'm working on a long-term trunk pull down problem in an 85. Currently, paddle switch is out and lying on a table. There's a workaround if you just want the trunk to stay fully closed and work like a basic trunk. You remove the switch and give the motor power to the right just-enough height.
To open up the paddle switch and clean it you need to drill out some rivets and go to the hardware store to get some mini nuts/bolts to put it back together. I was sure a good cleaning would fix it, but condition persisted after.

My switch looks fine and seems to flip fine, but trunk doesn't pull down. I can't tell if my paddle switch is bad in some way I can't figure out or if I have some other wiring problem in the trunk. It's a PITA. Much searching of the internet has not turned up good info on how to fully test the paddle switch. But most Help! threads seem to end with "I bought another paddle switch and now it works."

But that copper thing sticking out of the paddle switch needs to make contact with the shackle when installed to make ground. It pushes to the left/to port.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts