Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my hands on a dream car and it's slowly becoming a nightmare. The mission is to strip it down to the frame and build back up. This will be my first build and I have a million questions???? My biggest question right now is what engine/transmission can I drop in it to achieve 2 things fuel economy and enough horse power to enjoy it as a daily driver??? Any suggestions and advice will be extremely helpful. Thank you and have a good day

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,911 Posts
Truck 4.8/4L60E, driveshaft from a 91-96 D body, 8.5 rear end from a 91-96 D or B. 2.73s or 3.08s (if MPG is the concern). It will be more than double the stock HP, and still get almost 30mpg. Throw a cam in it, and it will be close to triple stock HP.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Truck 4.8/4L60E, driveshaft from a 91-96 D body, 8.5 rear end from a 91-96 D or B. 2.73s or 3.08s (if MPG is the concern). It will be more than double the stock HP, and still get almost 30mpg. Throw a cam in it, and it will be close to triple stock HP.
I never expected such a detailed lay out of a build. Thank you so much. When it comes to this type of stuff there is so many combinations that it gets over whelming and confusing.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,911 Posts
lol, there's lots more detail we can go into. Engine mounts, wiring, fuel delivery. LS swaps are very common now, and many have been done in the B/D body platform. You can save a lot of money by using the truck wiring harness/PCM and doing the harness yourself. There are VERY good long videos on this on youtube. You'll need the PCM re-flashed to remove features you're not going to need, and you'll be removing lots of wires from the harness, and re-pinning many circuits.

Of course, a 5.3, 5.7, 6.0 are all the same work. More power, less mileage. The easiest way to get everything you need is to buy a complete vehicle. Truck, suburban, or a van. Vans seem to be the cheapest.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From what years are good models to pull from? Does a 4.8 come with a 4l60 or is that a separate model and year? Have you done this build before and speak from experience or you just know your stuff?

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,911 Posts
I've pulled a few, worked on a bunch. Haven't done a swap myself, but I know my stuff, lol. Some will have the 4L80E, earlier/light duty will have 4L60E. Besides vans being cheaper: they're RWD. A 4x4 trans is no good to you. You'll be able to find a list of years online, it's on Wikipedia (and lots of other places).

THIS thread on the Impala SS forum will help you a lot with B/D specific items.

And, THIS section over on the truck forum will have lots of good reading.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,911 Posts
A 79 Impala:

And, an LS7 (!) into a Caprice wagon. I know this guy, he takes care of vintage race cars in his spare time...

And, our very own Stingroo's LS/T56 wagon:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts