Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had just bout a 1983 cadillac fleetwood brougham coupe. I got it for a great deal, but i want to swap the 4100 to a 305 or 350 with the 700r4 transmission. I have both engines i have a whole 91 brougham with a 305. I am still debating on the 90 conversion and i have a 350 that came off a 92 brougham that was my daily driver. How hard would it be dropping one of the 2 engines in with a 700r4 transmission? I know the motor mounts will have to be relocated. Also that the caprice or monte carlo motor mounts are the way to go. Can i just use the motor mounts off the 91 brougham? Will i have to cut the driveshaft?

I appreciate the help. I will try to doc the whole process once i begin to drop it in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Easiest? Frame swap it. Take the body off both cars. Put the frame with complete driveline from your 91 under your 83 body. Wire it up.

I thought they were different lol. Now i am probably going to 90 it out. Do to me needing a daily driver a.s.a.p. I did not want to because its all original but it beats trying to put the motor in and all the electric components. Thanks jay. Do you know how to remove the clips that hold some of the interior pieces? They always end up brakeing

·
Registered
1988 Fleetwood Brougham
6 Posts
It's a pretty simple swap. You will have to move the motor mounts forwards to a different set of bolt holes. Obviously you have to swap the engine wiring and ecu. The body harness plug is probably different to but you can make it work. There are multiple holes for the trans crossmember so i think you should be fine there

·
Registered
1996 Federal Heritage Hearse
220 Posts
I had just bout a 1983 cadillac fleetwood brougham coupe. I got it for a great deal, but i want to swap the 4100 to a 305 or 350 with the 700r4 transmission. I have both engines i have a whole 91 brougham with a 305. I am still debating on the 90 conversion and i have a 350 that came off a 92 brougham that was my daily driver. How hard would it be dropping one of the 2 engines in with a 700r4 transmission? I know the motor mounts will have to be relocated. Also that the caprice or monte carlo motor mounts are the way to go. Can i just use the motor mounts off the 91 brougham? Will i have to cut the driveshaft?

I appreciate the help. I will try to doc the whole process once i begin to drop it in.
If you have a full car plus extra engines. Use the spare car for parts like engine mounts and crossmember and such hardware. Then use the 350 engine instead of the 305. You won't be sorry. And since it is going in an 83 you could probably just use a carb on it vs fuel injection and no one should bother you about it.

·
Registered
1984 Eldorado Biarritz
1,243 Posts
See about translating all the 4100 TBI stuff onto the 350-allows the car to be troubleshot as an '83 instead of a hodgepodge of different equipment. You will probably have to change the 4th gear pressure switch from normally open to a normally closed one on the 700r4.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Almost 2 days in stripped down the brougham gutted the inside out all that wiring is a pain in the ass. It suks even more when theres no connection between the door n body lol thats all im dealing with now. I already got the fuse block off. Tommorow i will start with getting everything ready to swap the front ends or disassembling the fleetwood brougham coupe. I was wondering if i need the abs connection or will i have to swap that to the car also?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts