Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1983 Cadillac ElDorado
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I am dropping this video in here from my son and I replacing the rear Coil Springs and Air Shocks. I could not find a video of this exact model. I plan to Document or post any repairs we make here on youtube and share the links here in hopes of helping someone. This car so far has really been fun getting my son active in doing his own work on cars. Enjoy!
Chad

·
Registered
1985 Eldorado ASC convertible, HT4100
1,241 Posts
Hey Chad, welcome aboard. Really nice car. Your hopes of helping someone have been realized — I need to replace my rear shocks for the first time, and your video will help. Great stuff, and great make/model-correct music.

Was there noticable improvement when you drove? FYI, if the green "Level Ride" indicator light in the dash comes on, that means the compressor is working. Theoretically. I think that light actually speaks in code somewhat. It's in the owner's manual, which I don't have handy.

Sure wish my dad showed me how to do that kind of thing instead of me winging it when I was broke.
Scott

·
Registered
1983 Cadillac ElDorado
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Scott and thanks for the welcome! I did not know there was a “level ride” indicator! Thanks for sharing that info. I need to find a manual to download for it!
there was a notable difference. The problem is I replaced both the shocks and springs so I cannot say for sure which did the trick. I did choose the variable rate springs over the constant rate springs which were stock. I could really tell the difference with passengers in the back.
I look forward to contributing more to the forum as our journey goes on with this awesome ride! I actually started myself a fund for a late ‘70’s caddy. I really want a convertible four door something though!

take care

chad

·
Registered
1985 Eldorado ASC convertible, HT4100
1,241 Posts
Well, I think there's a "Level Ride" indicator light in the 1983. There is in the 85, above the cruise control switch.
Very cool 8-track player. By the way, some of the guys on this forum send their stock stereos out to get aux inputs installed for playing music from phones. To keep the Cadillac style. But I haven't done it. Happy new year.

·
Registered
1983 Cadillac ElDorado
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will have to check! I do not recall seeing it on the dash when the key is in the acc position when all of the other lights are on however. My son is a very old soul. Plays the sax and loves jazz. He wants to leave everything completely stock and loves the idea of the 8 tracks! Good tapes are hard to find though. I found one place we have got two excellent quality ones from on amazon. 16 bucks a piece however!
Happy New Year to you as well!

Chad

·
Registered
1984 Eldorado Biarritz, 1983 Sedan deVille
1,499 Posts
Awesome project! Your son is very lucky. He'll have a lot of fun with it, the slick top white with a red interior is fantastic.

Nice work swapping out the shocks, you look to have a solid non-rust belt car. It can be a real chore to get them off otherwise.

Also, thanks for the video. There is very little in the way of 79-85 specific videos or writeups on the internet. I started a project thread for my 1984 years ago. As always, it's in need of an update. You might find a few things perusing it that will apply to your son's car.

Best of luck to you and your son (y)

·
Registered
1983 Cadillac ElDorado
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for sharing your journey with your eldorado! It looks really nice and sounds like you could be a good resource down the road. Oddly enough this car was from what I consider rust area. It’s from the Kansas City metro area where we have plenty of s ow and salt. It has never. Even through an automatic car wash and the guy we got it from says Jim Roach Cadillac did every scheduled service on it! We got super lucky. Thank you again for reaching out. I am glad to have joined the forum!
Chad

1 - 7 of 7 Posts