4K views 30 replies 5 participants last post by  Robin Banx 
#1 ·
Hey all , Im totally brand new to this forum,

I bought a billet steering wheel from a swapmeet today, i went to remove the
standard steering wheel and then saw that the telescopic adjuster blocks the
nut to remove the steering wheel.

#2 ·
Welcome.
As I recall, I moved the lever to the loosen spot, unscrewed it and moved it all the way to right, re-screwed it down and loosened it again. At that point I removed the lever and put the two tips of a needle nose into the holes and unscrewed it til off.

It has been a couple year, I hope I remember that right.

#3 ·
Close.............maybe no cigar. But let me think a bit here. I changed my standard steering wheel for a leather wrapped wheel 6 years ago and as I recall removal of the telescope lock was not a big deal. With the centre section of the stock wheel removed (2 small sheet metal screws from the back side) you will then see the lock-unlock lever and base. Three small machine screws attach it to the locking shaft. Swing the lever to the unlocked position and remove the three small screws. Set the lever to one side and unscrew the locking shaft (should come undone by hand) and pull it out. Then you can unscrew the steering wheel nut. Leave the nut on the steering shaft so that it is flush with the top. Then, with a steering wheel puller, tighten up on the wheel and smack the top of the puller centre bolt with a hammer. The wheel should pop off. you can then install your new wheel.
I don't know if it will have the cavity necessary for the telescope lock or not but if it doesn't you may be unable to use it. If it does, reassemble the telescope lock and go crusin'.

Also, welcome to the best Caddy forum in the world and BTW, how about some pix of your ride?? Others here will lean on you (including talismandave) for pix. You will have to get used to that.

Cheers...........R

#4 ·
Basically what I said except since he was already going to pull it without our help, I left out the part I assumed he already knew. I only explained the part of removing the lever that was in his way.

Mine was to tight to remove by hand, that was why I had to use the lever for...well leverage.
I had to move it to the right twice before it came off, thus, the reason I had to remove and re-install the lever, and even then I needed the needle nose to turn it.

#5 ·
Ok Dave......maybe you had a bit of rust in there. That telescope lever should need only about a third of a turn from released to lock the wheel into place. Hopefully our new member in NZ will be able to get his new steering wheel installed. And if he does have a mint, no cracks wheel that he wants to save, he will need to use a puller. My car had a perfect steering wheel before my favourite shop tried to remove it by strong-arming it off without a puller and in doing so, split the plastic in two places. i had a replacement wheel ready to install so I wasn't as upset as i might have otherwise been but my opinion of my favoured shop quickly went into the ditch.

Cheers............R.

#6 ·
Thanks everyone.. I wasnt aware of the correct procedure with getting rid of the center bracket after removing the 3 screws.

----------

Really keen on any help with this and any help on checking all the fuses to get my dash lights and petrol guage going. Dont feel so along with you guys in touch ... I will load some pics of the car etc sn. cheers Simon

#10 ·
Yeah, that has to screw off to get to the nut.
If your wheel is in good condition be careful removing it with a puller, as Robin suggests, and you can sell it in the parts for sale section for coin!

We have a great, active, and international forum here. I am so glad you found us.

#15 ·
Years ago I fitted a '72 Cadillac tele-tilt column into a '72 Plymouth Barracuda. It turns out Chrysler cop cars used GM column in their police package cars due to the collapsible steering shaft within a shaft feature.

There were cop car harnesses that plugged directly into the Plymouth ignition switch and other end fit the Cadillac steering column. Same for blinker/hazard wiring. There were also Chrysler 5 sided head (pentastar) keys whose lock cylinders fit GM columns. '72 Chrysler Imperial also used GM columns.

Anyway the point is I was able to keep the telescoping feature by fitting the horn cap to the telescope lock screw. It was a Grant GT wheel. Fun times.

#19 ·
Sam, I hope by "the center stud" you mean the steering shaft and not the lock - unlock rod. The nut should be left flush with the top end of the steering shaft so as to spread out the pressure of the puller. He shouldn't have to pull on the wheel at all. One firm tap on the end of the puller bolt and the wheel should hop into his hands. Good luck Simon.

Cheers.........R.

#22 ·
I picked this billet specialties steering wheel up from a swapmeet in Hamilton. Should look good once it is polished up etc...

----------

RIGHTO .... NOW TO FIND WHERE ALL THE FUSES ARE AROUND THE DASH AREA ?

i NEED TO GET MY FUEL GUAGE AND DASH LIGHTS WORKING...

COULD DASH LIGHTS BE A KNOB THAT NEEDS TURNING ?

----------

Also a big thanks to my fellow members on here that , didnt get frustrated with a " new guy "

great support :)

#23 ·
Dash light problems might be being caused by some corrosion on the rheostat (dimmer) on the switch itself. I'd look there first. If that doesn't work, I'd lock the car up and go for a beer or two.

Cheers............R.

----------

And I notice that on the RHD conversion, the shop simply took the left and right armrest-mounted switch panels and swapped them side for side. I have seen a few RHD conversions but none as nice as yours. I'd love to see an engine room photo to see what has been done with the heater/ AC housing and also a close up of the speedo panel.

Cheers.......R.

#24 ·
The conversion to right drive is indeed fascinating.

I would love to some day get a chance to drive one. Very amusing to to us LH Cadillac guys.
What a mind blowing experience that would be after all the years and miles I have logged in my 82 SDV and now the 87 Brougham.
When I bought the 87 I hadn't driven one since I sold the 82 back in 1988, but the controls were still in my implicit memory. My hands naturally fell to where they needed to be. What a challenge it would be to relearn it all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.