Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1981 Eldorado Base 368ci 6.0L
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having extensive body work done on my Eldorado. Its a 1981 368 6.0 Base Model. I have to remove the chrome body trim to repair rust behind those areas. However, I am sure some of those clips, if not all are going to break when the trim is removed. Does anyone know where I can purchase replacement clips/fasteners for these moldings?

Thank you,

·
Registered
1985 Eldorado Biarritz Convertible, Sable Black, HT4100
1,000 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Scott. I found that website while doing some searching last night. I just dont know the part numbers to the clips I am going to need.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Zilch. Sorry.

----------

I won't be getting to my trim/clip issue for a while. But you could try calling them. Or you could always pull the trim, start working the rust and try to match the clips on the site. I think the numbers in parentheses are the GM number, so you can search for better pictures using that.

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com

3158 E. La Palma Ave
Anaheim, CA 92806
714-666-2959
M-F: 10AM-6PM PST

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Here's exactly the kind of diagram we'd need, unfortunately the first is for an 86+ Eldo, second is for a Fleetwood / Brougham. These are from online GM parts dealers.

Third is the GM diagram I can find for our generation Eldo. Which doesn't show the clips.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Hey Jrelated,
I saw a Parts and Illustration catalog pop up on ebay for $20 so I bought it. It's a 1982, covers C, D, E, K, and Z bodies. See attached pages regarding clips. It goes Year / Model / Part # / Quantity / Part "Cross Group" / Name, Description:

Elsewhere the molding at the bottom of the door is shown in illustration as the "MLDING KIT, Dr Lwr-RH [right hand]" and "LH" [left hand].

So I think the clips for the lower door molding are 20101165 and 20103900. Abbreviations mean "Clip, Front Door Lower Center Molding" and "Clip, Front Door Lower Front and Rear", which I assume means the clips at the front and back edges of the door are different from the clips in between.

Chrome molding below door is shown in illustration as "MLDG KIT, Rkr Pnl-RH" and "LH". So I think those are the retainers and screws, part #s 10008788 and 4492963. "AR" means "As required" for quantity, by the way.

P&I Catalog has great pictures of the various molding clips and their part numbers, but unfortunately it doesn't show any of the part numbers for the E body. They're just not there. Maybe the later P&I catalogs show them.

Front door hardware illustration shows the top reveal molding on the door as having 6 holes, which appear to be for screws. Illustration for E body doesn't show a screw, but every other model does. No illustration gives a part number for the screws. Not sure if the E body illustration covers Biarritz trim. I don't see any part # updates for those in the "new service parts" section.

Have you started your body work yet? I'm particularly interested in how the top molding comes off because I need to deal with a rust bubble under that. I assume I have to disassemble the door and unscrew it from the inside now.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are awesome! Thank you Scott! I almost gave up on this thread a long time ago. Im glad I checked.

----------

Hey Jrelated,
I saw a Parts and Illustration catalog pop up on ebay for $20 so I bought it. It's a 1982, covers C, D, E, K, and Z bodies. See attached pages regarding clips. It goes Year / Model / Part # / Quantity / Part "Cross Group" / Name, Description:

Elsewhere the molding at the bottom of the door is shown in illustration as the "MLDING KIT, Dr Lwr-RH [right hand]" and "LH" [left hand].

So I think the clips for the lower door molding are 20101165 and 20103900. Abbreviations mean "Clip, Front Door Lower Center Molding" and "Clip, Front Door Lower Front and Rear", which I assume means the clips at the front and back edges of the door are different from the clips in between.

Chrome molding below door is shown in illustration as "MLDG KIT, Rkr Pnl-RH" and "LH". So I think those are the retainers and screws, part #s 10008788 and 4492963. "AR" means "As required" for quantity, by the way.

P&I Catalog has great pictures of the various molding clips and their part numbers, but unfortunately it doesn't show any of the part numbers for the E body. They're just not there. Maybe the later P&I catalogs show them.

Front door hardware illustration shows the top reveal molding on the door as having 6 holes, which appear to be for screws. Illustration for E body doesn't show a screw, but every other model does. No illustration gives a part number for the screws. Not sure if the E body illustration covers Biarritz trim. I don't see any part # updates for those in the "new service parts" section.

Have you started your body work yet? I'm particularly interested in how the top molding comes off because I need to deal with a rust bubble under that. I assume I have to disassemble the door and unscrew it from the inside now.
I have not started the body work yet. The body shops in my area wont touch the car without these clips. I have the same rust bubble you mention. If I can get the proper clips using these part numbers and get the work done, I will be sure to find out what they did and pass along. Thank you again.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
No problem Jrelated. Let me know if you need me to look up anything else. I'd assume that www.clipsandfasteners.com place can work with those part numbers. But double check with them about the model applications. I found some clips with those part numbers on eBay. If you can, please take some photos while in progress.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Hey Jrelated, did you make any progress on this? In particular, I'm interested in how the door's top/reveal molding comes off to get at a rust bubble, and the molding at the bottom of the door (as in part of the door) because my molding pops off the clips in the middle and bows out some (stays on though). I figure I need to replace those middle clips. Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts