Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to take a look at a coupe, and would like some advice please. The owner says it's a "Special Edition", I assume that means D'elegance. With 200k, leather (needs some repair) and some paint fixings it should be on its way.

But my questions are for those with experience or currently own the 368. Is it a reliable engine? How hard are parts to find? Is there any nuance of the drive train that is inherent? I've been accumulating spare parts for my 86 and 88 sedans, I assume that they are for the most part compatible (lights, mouldings). All that's different is really the drive train and that fact that it's a two door.

I've bought two caddy’s with the 307 knowing that replacement parts are still not that hard to hunt down. Even better are the 305's on a wagon and coupe. I'm just hoping I will not get myself into something that's going to be such a drain on resources. Darn it Jim I'm a weekend warrior not a rodeo clown...well I'm not!

·
Banned
7,971 Posts
The 368 non-MD and TH400 is one of the most reliable engine/tranny combos there is. Parts aren't too bad to find. There are some subtle differences between 80 and 86-88 but many parts should still interchange. Plus if the 368 ever goes out, you can stick a 500 in there mwahahah.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 400, ah yes, the same tranny in my 79 Jeep J-10 oddly enough! Tis a good unit.
500? I'd never do that though. I'm not a "super-modder" guy, I like to leave things as stock as they are. Caddys have to be elegant and an example to all other cars! ;)

·
Registered
319 Posts
the 500 is externally the same engine as the 368...you probably couldnt look at them and tell any difference. so its not a "super-mod" and the only thing better than a caddy motor...is a bigger caddy motor

·
Banned
7,971 Posts
^^Damn straight. That's the cool thing about a 500 swap, hardly anyone would be able to tell the difference until you floored it. My 75 came with a 500, and it's as elegant as can be. And I did say IF the 368 ever kicks it, although even with 200k it should last awhile so long as it's been decently maintained.

Like I think I said in another thread... if you can, get classic car insurance on it.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice guys!
Physically looks the same? Oh dear, now that's tempting. If the engine goes I'll be definately looking for it then. I drive like an old man, so gas shouldn't be that much of an issue. Good thinking, I'll be getting classic auto insurance for it, that kinda car is not a daily driver.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Just for the record, if you're sure it's an '80, then it's a Coupe deVille - the Fleetwood Brougham Coupe didn't come out until 1981.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Pete Benson said:
Just for the record, if you're sure it's an '80, then it's a Coupe deVille - the Fleetwood Brougham Coupe didn't come out until 1981.
Hang on a minute, I may be wrong about this. Now that I think about it, I seem to recall the Fleetwood Brougham Coupe came out about midway or later in the 1980 model year, but in any case NOT at the beginning when the rest of the models were introduced.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Pete Benson said:
Hang on a minute, I may be wrong about this. Now that I think about it, I seem to recall the Fleetwood Brougham Coupe came out about midway or later in the 1980 model year, but in any case NOT at the beginning when the rest of the models were introduced.
Right. You almost gave my car a complex.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Pete Benson said:
Ouch! Hey, I wouldn't want to do that.............lol
I almost had to bring my car to therapy after the insurance people insisted that there is no such body style prefix for 1980 when my wife registered it. Now this....

·
Registered
780 Posts
The Ape Man said:
I almost had to bring my car to therapy after the insurance people insisted that there is no such body style prefix for 1980 when my wife registered it. Now this....
Alas, say it isn't so! A person I would knowingly, and in some cases willingly insult, but a Cadillac - NEVER!!
Please to bestow forgiveness upon my unworthy head, for I am scum.........

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
5 Participants
Pete Benson