Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado
8 Posts
Hello Folks!!

I'm starting a new thread in hopes of finding the right people to help with this situation. I am so frustrated and don't know what to do. I want my baby running again.

My 80 Eldo runs really bad. It starts on the first try then quickly dies. I start again and give it gas to rev up, but it is difficult and dies. I have to feather the pedal to keep it going. Sometimes when pressing the accelerator it chokes out and starts making a popping sound from the throttle body...not the exhaust.

I thought the timing chain jumped because I new it was loose....so I replaced it. A few years earlier I had already replaced both fuel pumps, all new injectors, fuel pressure regulator, plugs, wires, cap, rotor. Everything I can think of. The car was running really good for a hot minute, then slowly started running bad to the point where it is not driveable.

My next step is to check the fuel pressure....but it confuses me because I keep thinking it's a timing issue. I can't get the engine to run on it's own to check the timing.

HELP!!!

Mike
Los Angeles
Never post your e-mail address (or any other personal info) in a worldwide extremely active forum. You WILL receive far, far more than you ever bargained for.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,097 Posts
Hello Folks!!

I'm starting a new thread in hopes of finding the right people to help with this situation. I am so frustrated and don't know what to do. I want my baby running again.

My 80 Eldo runs really bad. It starts on the first try then quickly dies. I start again and give it gas to rev up, but it is difficult and dies. I have to feather the pedal to keep it going. Sometimes when pressing the accelerator it chokes out and starts making a popping sound from the throttle body...not the exhaust.

I thought the timing chain jumped because I new it was loose....so I replaced it. A few years earlier I had already replaced both fuel pumps, all new injectors, fuel pressure regulator, plugs, wires, cap, rotor. Everything I can think of. The car was running really good for a hot minute, then slowly started running bad to the point where it is not driveable.

My next step is to check the fuel pressure....but it confuses me because I keep thinking it's a timing issue. I can't get the engine to run on it's own to check the timing.

HELP!!!

Mike
Los Angeles
Never post your e-mail address (or any other personal info) in a worldwide extremely active forum. You WILL receive far, far more than you ever bargained for.
check valve timing -
be 100% sure the timing mark lines up to "0" with #1 at TDC -

double check the firing order -
double check the ignition timing -
be sure to keep the ignition wires spaces apart to prevent cross firing -
check the inside of the cap for carbon arching -
inspect the rotor and the carbon button -

if you are 100% positive ignition is not the problem -
do a compression test -
you could have a bad intake valve -

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for that. I think I'm going to test the fuel pressure. Just noticed a fuel leak near the pump under the drivers seat. Maybe it's sucking in air? It was running so good for a while and then got progressively worse.

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found that the fuel leak was coming from the fuel filter cap. I snugged it down more and the leak stopped. Thank goodness!!

Also figured out that there is no fuel pump relay....all controlled from the ecm computer...which I already changed...but might need to replace again....because I turned the key on.....you can hear the fuel pump spin up....then went to the valve thing on the fuel rail...it spit out gas for 2 seconds...then nothing. Turned the key off and back on.....same thing...only spit gas for a few seconds. So it seems that it is not pressuring up. So I think the ECM controls the fuel pump and is not letting the fuel system pressure up.

Which makes a bit more sense with a different issue....sometimes when you shut the car off...the fuel pump dosent shut off unless you turn the key on then off again. So....NOW....I'm thinking it's the ECM.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
Escalade / Seville
5 Posts
Hi there,
I have had the experience of the popping while throttling and that was because of the cam being worn out or a cam lobe has been rolled off, trust me it should not be the electronics unless the distributor has been removed and wires are crossed. The thing with the electronics is that it creates and allows automatic synchronization and what you described has to do with primary ignition backfire or cross firing especially if when it makes the popping sound it has a slight ping or bell ringing be careful you may be burning up some valves!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts