Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado owner.
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
@admin: I'm going to resume my 1980 Eldo and I want to share all works on it,is this the correct section to post.
If not ,please can move it in the right section?

I'm starting to check the right firing order,please can you confirm?

1,5,6,3,4,2,7,8,clockwise rotation,the first spark plug wires is indicated with my finger.

starting from the fan(front of the car)on left,passenger side I find cilynder n°1,3,57
Driver side we found cilynder n°2,4,6,8.

Engine code9.

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado owner.
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is the n°1 spark plug wires,if I'm not wrong.

Inviato dal mio SM-G950F utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado owner.
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have checked all spark plug wires,this is what I have found.
I think something is wrong.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,423 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Deville Concours
64 Posts
The number 1 cylinder is on the right side of the engine, as viewed from the driver’s seat. (Driver and passenger side is confusing, since there exists both.). 1,3,5,7 is right bank. 2,4,6,8 is left bank. The number 1 cylinder is slightly farther forward than the number 2 cylinder.

The firing order you have is correct. 1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8.

Number 1 plug wire is SUPPOSED to be where you are pointing, just to the right of the coil wire protrusion.

However, the protrusion is supposed to be ‘angled slightly rearward’ not angled slightly forward, as is shown. A line drawn between the 8 & 3 wire posts is roughly parallel with the front of the engine, so this is correct, but the distributor housing is sitting 45 degrees ccw from where it belongs.

Someone has put the wires in the wrong place and compensated to get the timing correct by rotating the distributor housing ccw from the original factory location. This can work if there are no obstructions, but usually something is in the way (like the vacuum advance canister) so the timing cannot get set properly.

I would put the wires in the correct location and then move the distributor housing into it’s proper location.
(As if you ‘held’ all the plug wires in the same place, but were able to rotate the cap and housing 45 degrees cw.). Move them one at a time. Like: remove 8, leave off. Remove 1, install where 8 was. Remove 5, install where 1 was, etc. until 8 can go where 7 was.
Then you can set the timing. Check the tag on the rad support for that info. It’s probably something like 18 degrees at 1400 rpm. (No, there is no spec for setting at idle.) Make sure to follow instructions, like remove and plug the vacuum line to the advance canister, etc.

If it was timed correctly before, you will see no performance difference by making this change, but at least it will be correctly installed. If it wasn’t timed correctly, you should see improvement in how it runs.

Bjc789

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado owner.
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Today I'll take off all spark wires(in the future I'll change with black one),clean it,check,clean and check the gap of spark plug and install in the correct way.

When I'm there I'll check the distributor condition too.

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado owner.
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spark plug checked,I have the wrong spark plug ,I have NGK TR55 Vpover(in the 7° cilinder another type) with a gap about 1,4 millimeter.
The spark plug wires are cleaned and tested.

·
Registered
1998 Deville Concours
64 Posts
Gap spec is 0.60” or 1.5mm. But it can be gapped a little less and work properly. But they should all be the same gap and the same type of plug.

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado owner.
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some update,I have inspected the fuel filter(I will change it) I found some moisture in the canister so I decided to take off the old fuel from the tank.

Next thing is take of the fuel inlet and the return line from the body trottle and shoot in with compressor air.
Next I refill the canister with fresh fuel and the injector cleaner,of course the fuel pump work.

Now I'm cleaning the engine bay and the undercarriage .
I found ,more or less, 40year of dirty.
I'm cleaning the overflow tank too,next step radiator cleaning,first time with fresh water and when the engine will run the appropriate product from Bardahl.

About engine oil is really clear but I will flush it and replace with 10/40 specific Api SN/Cf Bardhal.

https://www.bardahl.it/prodotti/auto/olio-motore/xtc-c60-10w40-1-lt-x-24-auto/

This is the same oil I put on '81 Corvette.

I have inspected the trunk too..perfect,no rust or damage is still with original sticker under the carpet,carpet is brand new,spare tire and jack are present.

I'm pretty impressed is just neglected but almost complete.

Is missing the original radio but I want to replace it a Retrosound radio,what do you think

·
Registered
None
37 Posts
@admin: I'm going to resume my 1980 Eldo and I want to share all works on it,is this the correct section to post.
If not ,please can move it in the right section?

I'm starting to check the right firing order,please can you confirm?

1,5,6,3,4,2,7,8,clockwise rotation,the first spark plug wires is indicated with my finger.

starting from the fan(front of the car)on left,passenger side I find cilynder n°1,3,57
Driver side we found cilynder n°2,4,6,8.

Engine code9.
hello
firing order is your engine 1,5,6,3,4,2,7,8 = is correct
What I know is wrong with the installation of distributor your car, I marked the red line
The spark time is not likely to be right
To install distributor drew the green line is correct
That means Coil distributor should be straight
Your engine is not like the Cadillac Seville - in the Cadillac Delco, the rear engine is installed and firing order is =1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2
in Cadillac 1,3,5,7 is right bank. 2,4,6,8 is left bank.
and check timing mark on pulley crankshaft

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado owner.
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I finally found the new fuel filter,it will arrive tomorrow so I can try to start the car.
I'll keep you updated.

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado owner.
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hello
firing order is your engine 1,5,6,3,4,2,7,8 = is correct
What I know is wrong with the installation of distributor your car, I marked the red line
The spark time is not likely to be right
To install distributor drew the green line is correct
That means Coil distributor should be straight
Your engine is not like the Cadillac Seville - in the Cadillac Delco, the rear engine is installed and firing order is =1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2
in Cadillac 1,3,5,7 is right bank. 2,4,6,8 is left bank.
and check timing mark on pulley crankshaft

Thanks for explanation.
About the yellow about the belt,of course it will be replaced.
I want leave without belt the air pump,maybe less hp lost.
If I leave the air pump in place but not working,the ECM can find some error?

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado owner.
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
On my '80 the steering column don't have the lever for tilt and telescoping.
Is just an RPO back in the day?
I supposed was standard equipment!

·
Registered
None
37 Posts
Thanks for explanation.

Hello
I do not know anything about the failure of the pump and fault on the ECU that will come.
Because, as far as I know, the problem is hot exhaust gas backing -up into the hose and pump
Because valve has a one-way diaphragm
problems General Motors write are that =
excessive pump
noise
knocking
no air supply

·
Registered
1984 Eldorado Biarritz
1,194 Posts
Thanks for explanation.

You need the air pump to get enough tension to run the alternator and not have the water pump drive belt slip. The air pump uses hardly any power to turn. Tilt/telescopic was an option.

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado owner.
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Today is a cleaning day.
I hate the dust in the engine bay,fortunately is just a lot of dirty,no rust at all.
The car is running yet but I hate the grey color of the filter cap.
I just used the old gasoline of the tank(now is empty).
Now I have the original color in all air filter box with sign of the age,I prefer this way.
The sticker is partially erased,maybe I will buy a new one when the car is back on the road again.

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado owner.
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I have inspected the valve train too for some old sludge,fortunately there isn't.
Now I cleaned the valve cover too.

The working is going on !

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado owner.
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Some one can see the pictures of my post? I can see it just with tapatalk but non in the forum!

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado owner.
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have installed the new fuel filter,I filled up,try to start but nothing happen,I detached the fuel inlet at the base of TBI but the fuel don't come out.

Before I replace the filter(without filter) I turn the key in On position and the fuel come out from the fuel canister.

I'm missing something?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts