Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I have a stock 1980 cadillac coupe deville delegance with the 6L 368, TH400 trans. I'm looking for a compatible rear end with disk breaks that is at a minimum of 2" narrower so I can have more clearance from my tires to inner fenders.. I was hoping you may have an idea of something that would be ideal for that swap.. Ive heard maybe a gm pickup or caprice or impala ss work? Not sure how to find the right fit and I was hoping you would be able to help me out with a suggestion.
ideally something I won't have to change the drive shaft out also.. Hoping to keep the rear wheels as close to their original position front/back wise..
Thank you for your time!

cheers

·
Super Moderator SEMPER PARATUS
2003 DeVille Base
4,513 Posts
can't help with your question but I can give you some advice. It's a really bad idea to post your email address on the public forum. Trolls & bots look for those and you'll get more than you bargained for. Suggest you edit and remove the email.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,557 Posts
What's the actual width of the rear that is in there? I should be able to tell you if an SS or 9C1 rear is narrower.

·
Registered
146 Posts
91-92 Caprice sedan
1566 narrow axle - drum brakes
93-96 Caprice axles
9C1 1566mm narrow axle - disk brakes & limited slip
1566mm narrow axle - drum brakes
1598mm wide axle - drum brakes
Impala SS 1598mm wide axle - disk brakes & limited slip
Roadmaster 91-96 & 93-96 Fleetwood sedans (not comercial)
1566mm narrow axle - drum brakes & Fleetwood with 4 wheel ABS

So the police and heavey duty drum got a 32mm narrower axle.

77-91 5X4.75" lug bolt spacing
92-96 5x5" lug bolt spacing

Inline tube sells JL9 rear disk conversion kit for these cars
Many say they change the poportaining valve as GM never made an adjustment for disk brakes.

Seen a number of 9C1 Caprices & SS Inpalas in wrecking yards.
Never seen one with the diferential. They are a hot commodity.
Some complain the orignal ones were more prone to failure creating a demand.
Then you have people that want a better gear ratio, limited slip, & or rear disk brakes for simular or much older car.

·
Registered
1984 Coupe DeVille
115 Posts
k80lac, where are you located? If you get rid of your 80 rear end and drive shaft, I might be interested in buying it. I'm located in Mississippi, and will be installing a TH400 in my 1984 Coupe Deville.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts