Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,958 Posts
Would take a lot of 'elbow grease" to get it looking good again.
I take it by the plae on the car you are in Curacao?
Perhaps that is the best you can find there. Here we wouldn't touch that car because we have so many better.
It looks a lot better than the last one.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
I bought a set of wheels a year ago that had rust on them and had good luck using a Dremel tool with brass brushes.
I got about 90% cleaned up, look good from ten feet!
Hard to tell from photo, but I would guess those are about as good as mine are.

I haven't gotten back to work on mine, but am going to go to craft store when I go and get silver leaf materials and try doing that on the worst spots.

·
Registered
87 Brougham, 1969 Calais, 95 FWB, 07 SRX, 07 ESV
4,246 Posts
It's a project for sure but if it runs and drives good then it's not too far gone to save. You need some parts and some clean up but the body looks decent.

for the rims, someone on here...I think maybe jayoldschool, had suggested in the past that naval jelly will clean them up pretty good. You could go all out and send them off to be replated if you want but I'd start with cleaning them and see how that looks.
The seats are torn, need to replace the skins or the whole seats.
Rust under the vinyl top as evident by the bubbling on the rear sail panel. You'll need to take the top off, clean it up real good, and have a new one put on.

on the plus, it looks like all of the trim is there and in good shape. Some bumper fillers and paint and you'd have a great looking ride.

How does the bottom look? is it pretty crusty or is it still nice and solid?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The bottom is rust free, it runs and drives good.

I heard they sell pre-cut vinyl top, Do you know a website selling those...?

The interior will be completely redone.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
It looks better then the first one and has a better engine. it doesn't look like it would need too much work to be decent but that rust under the vinyl at the windshield could be a problem. I would usually skip cars like that unless the price was cheap but your choice is more limited then ours are. An automotive glass shop that does upholstery work, or an upholstery shop that knows automotive work can make a new vinyl roof. You could get that coordinated with a body shop to get the rust fixed.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,728 Posts
That car is going to need much more than a simple top replacement. The rust under that top will be horrific. The car is going to need body work, and full paint. Wheels can be brought back to "driver" status, but they will look bad with fresh paint. Combined with interior, after all the work, you are going to be upside down in a hurry. I would hold out for a better example, IF you want a nice one. If you just want one to drive, go for this one, put some fillers on it, clean it, de-rust the wheels, and drive (and don't spend another dime on cosmetics).

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood S&S Hearse, 1993 Buick Roadmaster
567 Posts
That car is going to need much more than a simple top replacement. The rust under that top will be horrific. The car is going to need body work, and full paint. Wheels can be brought back to "driver" status, but they will look bad with fresh paint. Combined with interior, after all the work, you are going to be upside down in a hurry. I would hold out for a better example, IF you want a nice one. If you just want one to drive, go for this one, put some fillers on it, clean it, de-rust the wheels, and drive (and don't spend another dime on cosmetics).
This. 1000 times this.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
The information we are missing is...
...what is your budget?
....what are your skills?
....how much can you do yourself?
....what do you want the finished car to be?
....what's available in your country?

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
4,414 Posts
I am particular to these cars , if you can tick all the boxes that talismandave throws then go for it ;) .

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nope, this car is not just start and drive; this is project car which I'm planning to work on. The plan is to revise the engine, tune it up and repair what's needed to repair. Then I would strip the interior, replace floor carpet, rebuilt (upholstery) the seats, new headliner, new interior side plastic moldings.

While doing the interior, the car will go to the body and paint shop. There they wil strip the car, remove vinyl top, remove front and rear windshields, remove all rust, prime and paint.

I will share with you guys an album of my 1992 GMC Sierra Project.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The information we are missing is:

what is your budget? $10,000.00 ($4,400.00 for the car and $5,600.00 for repair)

what are your skills? Advanced car knowledge

how much can you do yourself? Remove and install anything but I'm not a mechanic nor a car painter

what do you want the finished car to be? Show car

what's available in your country? Almost nothing

·
Registered
chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
6,397 Posts
Here, that car would be worth approximately 1500 dollars. A lot of rust under the vinyl, older repaint, and shot interior. They're just too common here (still).

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,665 Posts
Did nice work on that truck, real clean. Looking forward to what you do to the car. Is the car overpriced? Probably but if there is nothing else, it's worth it to somebody. If you're looking to build a show car, might as well grab it because a true show car would have everything redone. Even if the paint was good, a show car would be repainted anyway. How long has it been for sale?

I really like this style of caddy so I'd probably be one of those that would overpay in another country if there were no other options.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For your budget, wouldn't it be cheaper to ship a nice car needing little work from Miami?
Not finding a decent d'Elegance Caddy in Miami...

----------

Did nice work on that truck, real clean. Looking forward to what you do to the car. Is the car overpriced? Probably but if there is nothing else, it's worth it to somebody. If you're looking to build a show car, might as well grab it because a true show car would have everything redone. Even if the paint was good, a show car would be repainted anyway. How long has it been for sale?

I really like this style of caddy so I'd probably be one of those that would overpay in another country if there were no other options.
Exactly... There are not much Broughams and Fleetwoods here on the island. This car have been rusting for the past 10 years when my grandfather past away; this car belongs to him. This car was the island's governor state car.

·
Registered
1990 Brougham, 1990 Brougham d'elgance 1979 Coupe
1,196 Posts
1980 is a desired year, I wouldn't spend 10k on the car, but if you could get her looking nice for around 5k why not?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts