Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok - I have a 1980 fleetwood with the 368 in it. Pulled the body off the frame ( derby car - not a driver ). trying to get spark out of the iginition - no luck.
I have 12 volts going to the HEI ( like the one wire setup ) - my concern is the 4 wire plug comin out of the LOWER side of the distributor - Do I need to do anything with these? twist them together ? give power to some? unsure on what to do here?

I have replaced the cap/coil/rotor and ignition module (5 wire )

Any help...please....

·
Registered
70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
3,310 Posts
I can't remember when they started adding more wires to the HEI but I think you need to look for an older HEI Distributer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is kinda what I thought - I just didn't know if there was a workaround.
I also have a 79 Fleetwood that I built this year with th 425 in it. That has a 4 prong ignition module ( 2 on each side ) There are no other wires coming out except for the one wire hookup to the battery. In 1980 - they started with the 5 prong ignition module ( 2 on side - 3 on other ) that is when they started having "other " wires coming out of the distributor.

Thanks for helping me confirm it Al.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
02 Eldorado ESC, true 2.5" duals, 18X10's & 275/40ZR18's, 14" rotors, C5 Vette brakes
254 Posts
The 4 wires are what the computer hooks to set the timing advance. If you are not using the computer to control the car’s engine management system, then you need an HEI with vacuum advance. 74-79 years - 425, 472 and 500 engines will all work. Keep that distributor and sell it or give it away- they are becoming more rare and are needed when someone wants to run fuel injection on a 435, 472, or 500.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts