Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1979 sdv
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello: I a week ago purchased for 385.00 a 1979 sedan deville runs good trans slips a bit no rust no dents seats and dash cracked.Today I discovered that this car has rear disc brakes,I like,but how can that be?

Thanks

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
Congratulations. Some cars have rear disc brakes, that's how it can be. I don't see them listed as an option but the list I'm looking at could be incomplete. Alternatively it could have a Fleetwood parts back there.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
I have always heard about them, but never actually seen them. They are related to the 76-78 Eldo rear disc, (same rotors, backing plates and calipers), which is very similar to the 79-81 rear disc on the F Bodies (Pontiac carline), which used 2" pistons in the calipers and mounted one front and one rear (to clear the shocks), as opposed to the B/D/E body 2 3/8" larger caliper pistons. They were common to have the e brake actuator problems (mainly because people didn't use it) and often when people were changing brake pads, they would break the bolt trying to retract the piston into the bore.

The 79-81 F body, 79-85 E, and the 76 E, 77-79 B/D body cars shared rotors with the E/D bodies having the 5x5 bolt pattern vs the 5x4.75" pattern.

The 79-85 E Bodies and 79-81 F Bodies shared calipers and rotors. Not sure on backing plates, but possible.

Front calipers work on the rear, but lack e brake provisions, and are the larger pistons. Which is a safety issue.

·
Banned
1976 Eldorado project
1,631 Posts
Yeah, my '76 Eldorado has rear disc brakes. You're dealing with Cadillacs now, better get used to this kind of thing :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts