Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
Here's a random question: Does the crossmember of a '79 Coupe DeVille allow for a dual exhaust, or is there only one cutout? I know CaddyDaddy had duals on his '79 Sedan DeVille, so any advice in this direction would help.

I have an opportunity to get a decent CD for like $200. The 425 runs well I hear, but I still need to find out how the tranny is doing. I'm thinking it might be a fun toy on the side!;)

Anything else I should be looking for in particular with these cars? Any chronic rot points? Thanks in advance for any info! :)

Cheers,
Jeff

·
Registered
2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD
3,723 Posts
The crossover is only notched on the passenger side, so the dual on my car runs low on the one side. I haven't had it hit anything going over large bumps at speed, but if you lowered the car a bit, which I hope to do someday, I'm sure it would be an issue. I'm sure you could cut a notch into the crossmember and make it the same as the pass side.
$200 sounds like a great price, as long as the frame is good and there's not too much wrong with it! Chronic rot points are the rear wheel frame rails, and the frame past the rear wheels. These tend to be the worst parts of the frames for rust throughs. But be sure to check the whole frame for rust throughs. Other than the body, there isn't too much else, just normal wear and tear items.

Good luck!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, Sean. If I got it, I would probably drop it a little at some point too. I'm not planning on going TOO crazy with it, just something fun to beat around it. When I bag my Fleetwood, I would probably try to install my Hotchkis springs on the DeVille - of course, I'd need to look into the fit, but I'm assuming off the bat that they will be fine. That will lower it quite a bit from stock, though when I briefly saw the car it already looked like a typical Caddy of the age - sagging.

I still don't know if I'm going to get it or not, though I'm REALLY tempted. I've also been tempted with a '72 Olds 98 that actually looks like it's in better shape, but I'm sure it won't be $200!

Cheers,
Jeff

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Kevin. I was playing with that idea in my head as well - it would be a lot easier than whipping out the plasma cutter and welder and attacking the cross member!

Between the SS Forum and the BADASS Forum, I don't know if Bill has any more time! ;-) I don't know...I'm talking to him right now on BADASS. I'll see if he's even checked it out. Personally, I've been reading along, but have only posted a few times so far. I've been keeping it to a minimum all around lately - too busy with work!!!

Cheers,
Jeff

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know we're getting off topic now (naughty!), but it looks like I might be moving to NJ real soon. I told everyone in BADASS that there's an open invitation to crash at my place for E-Town events! ;-)

Cheers,
Jeff

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
great to see some older caddys here!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
so ya getin it or not?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know...money's really tight right now and I might be moving soon. Besides, I need to look a little closer at it. When I saw it it was more buried than my car in my sig below!!!:p

Hoping to get a better look this week, though the temps above freezing only lasted a couple days here in the NE...

Cheers,
Jeff

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
sweet I hope it all works out

·
Registered
04 CTSV 500rwhp, 96 FTS-V T56 previously, 95 T56 Impala SS
433 Posts
Kevin, I finally made it over here. :)

And Jeff... I think I know of a better use for your old Hotchkis springs! :p

I'll come check out that 79 with you if the snow ever melts this year... say... July? :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Um...weird...I posted, but it never, uh, posted...

I said: "Looks like Bill caught me making other plans!"

Did it work this time...?

Cheers,
Jeff

·
Registered
2 Posts
i got a 79 Coupe Deville, i want to lower the rear by 2.5" and front by 1.5" (roughly). Anyhow, I cant seem to find any information how to lower my car without investing on Airbags/Air ride or Hydraulics. Im not a gansgter or anything like that. Simply, i want to make the car look like 49-51 shoebox. Simply put, does anyone have any idea where i can begin my quest on how to lower this car. Either a lowering kit, Air Cylinder or anything roughly inexpensive and drivable. It will be a daily driver! Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts