Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Coupe Deville
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My headlights don't seem to turn on at all when I switch it on. The only thing lighting up is the turn signals and the tailights. Could it be a fuse out? I just got the vehicle and that's what's bugging me the most since I work nights. Any help is appreciated. If you need more details, I'll be happy to tell you.

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,737 Posts
Lift up the carpet surrounding the dimmer switch. Most likely you'll find burnt wires or a melted connector. Water, mud, snow gather there over years.

·
Registered
77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB
10,022 Posts
You might also check the fusible links that run along the passenger side cylinder heads. Mine melted out a few years ago. Caused the same symptoms you're having.

·
Registered
78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)
1,150 Posts
My 78 experienced this not to long ago. The culprit was the connector had melted and exposed the connections between them and caused the wires to become lose inside the pins in the connector. This is under the dash, towards the dimmer switch on the floor. For the time being I was able to get them to meet together and thus restoring power to inner and outer lights. I would either need to swap this connector for another or make my own.

·
Registered
78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)
1,150 Posts
Oh and on my 80, had the same issues but that was a fusible link that had melted. I removed it and used an in line fuse rated at 25. This fusible link is found in the wiring harness leading out from the bulkhead connector to the radiator support.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts