Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1983 CADILLAC ELDORADO BIARRITZ
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
A friend of mine is currently experiencing considerable frustration and difficulty in obtaining what I understand is called a "Mylar windshield reveal molding or locking strip" for his 1982 Cadillac Eldorado.

This 1982 Eldorado was originally, as most reading this will appreciate, fitted with a windscreen molding that included an all important chrome/silver trim. The replacements appear to be all black which of course does nothing for the car.

I wondered if anyone knows where my friend might obtain a 1979-85 Eldorado 'chrome like" windscreen molding?

Regards
Chev62

·
Registered
1985 Eldorado Biarritz Convertible, Sable Black, HT4100
1,000 Posts
Chev62, do you/does he have the GM part number?

I've been wondering if there's an online version of the Cadillac "Parts and Illustration Catalog." I'm gonna ask about that in a separate thread now…

·
Registered
1985 Seville
330 Posts
That's one of those things from the past that you probably will have to engineer yourself some way or possibly a salvage yard if your lucky.

·
Registered
1979 ELDORADO, also had a 1969 Eldorado
62 Posts
I had my windshield removed on my '79 to get rid of a bit of rust near there. The windshield removers replaced it with a Silver, chromy one. I can't tell the difference. If they have it here in Australia I'm sure they'd have it in the U.S.

Chris.....From OZ.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Salvage from a wrecking yard". In the USA during the 1990s there would have been a good selection of 1979 to 1985 Eldorado's that might have had the windscreen trim. 20 plus years later I would be surprised if many USA wrecking yards hold much stock dating from the 1980s at all. Certainly in Australia where we live, no wrecking yard would have a Cadillac of any description and most certainly not a 1979-85 Eldorado. So thanks for the suggestion, but it's of no use down under. I have to believe that someone offers thus windscreen molding as if would fit many 1979-85 Cadillac Eldorado's, Buick Rivierias and Oldsmobiles.
Regards

----------

Hi Chris,
I live in Melbourne. Can you tell me who in Adelaide supplied the windscreen moulding?
Regards
Carl
(Chev62)

·
Registered
91 ETC, 91 STS, 98 Eldo Convertable, '93 Seville
675 Posts
"Salvage from a wrecking yard". In the USA during the 1990s there would have been a good selection of 1979 to 1985 Eldorado's that might have had the windscreen trim. 20 plus years later I would be surprised if many USA wrecking yards hold much stock dating from the 1980s at all. Certainly in Australia where we live, no wrecking yard would have a Cadillac of any description and most certainly not a 1979-85 Eldorado. So thanks for the suggestion, but it's of no use down under. I have to believe that someone offers thus windscreen molding as if would fit many 1979-85 Cadillac Eldorado's, Buick Rivierias and Oldsmobiles.
Regards

----------

Hi Chris,
I live in Melbourne. Can you tell me who in Adelaide supplied the windscreen moulding?
Regards
Carl
(Chev62)
79-85's still show up pretty regularly local yard has two

·
Registered
1985 Eldorado Biarritz Convertible, Sable Black, HT4100
1,000 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi Carl, The name of the company is.....COMPLETE WINDSCREENS Phone # (08) 8269-4444.

Try some of your windscreen companies in Melbourne first & see what happens.

Chris.....From OZ.

·
Registered
1985 Seville
330 Posts
Possibly some chrome pin striping tape. It wouldn't be perfect but it will have the look your looking for.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Chris,
Thanks for that information. I have passed it on to my friend. I guess of course it's always possible that your original windscreen molding was carefully removed without being damaged, then cleaned up and then re installed. Perhaps Chris, you are lookingat your cars original windscreen molding without realizing it?
Regards
Carl

·
Registered
62 Posts
No carl, It was replaced with a new one, as the one that was replaced wasn't the best. I personally threw it away myself.

Chris

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Chris,
That's promising news that you windscreen molding has been replaced. I am pleased to hear this as they certainly appear to be difficult to obtain from the USA. Perhaps these an export market to supply the USA with this 'chrome like' windscreen trim.

In many ways I think the problem is that 1980s US cars are only starting to be fully appreciated as collector cars. They are to old to be attractive second hand cars, but until recently perhaps not old enough for collector status.

As following develops for the 1979-85 Eldorado I think we will start to see items like the windscreen molding appear as reproduction items. Of course these cars were very expensive when new and sold in comparatively small numbers. Few survive today that are still in good condition and the limited number of survivers might mean reproducing parts in not economic.

Time will tell.
Regards and thanks for your help.
Carl Kelsen

1 - 12 of 12 Posts