Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1975 Sedan Deville, 2000 Eldorado
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I'm about to buy a 1978 Cadillac Seville, but I have a few concerns about it.

That fuel injection system... I can't really find any info about it. Can anyone give me info about it's reliability, availability or parts, etc.

My mechanics says I shouldn't buy it, because if the control modul fails, there is no way to fix the car. Same for the fuel pump or any other fuel injection coponment.

Any ideas about that? thanks in advance for any info.

Also, I love the car, because it looks big, but it's small, it has excellent road manners, and well, it's a small cadillac!

Thanks

·
Registered
'78 Seville Elegante - '92 Eldorado - '73 Corvette
24 Posts
Don't worry about the fuel injection system. I have no troubles at all (30000+km in a '78 Seville) and when it fails, you just buy another ECU from the junkyard

I would say that the 350 Olds. engine used in the Seville is one of the more reliable engines that GM put in Cadillacs.

·
Registered
1975 Sedan Deville, 2000 Eldorado
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, here in Switzerland it isn't that easy to find a junkyard that has another Seville with an working ECU...

I guess I better find one before I buy the car!

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
Most all of the fuel system was designed and supplied by BOSCH. Fuel pumps are somewhat common as well as the injectors themselves. The weak link in this system is the DELCO (GM) wiring harnesses. Over time the connectors work loose heat up and melt plugs at ECU's rendering the ECU faulty. The cold start heater in the throttle body is somewhat hard to get but still out there. Air temp and coolant temp sensors are the same part number. Other than the flow rate of the injectors, this fuel system was an option on 500 cu in. Cads as well. Also make sure the rear brakes work. Common for the pistons to sieze in the rear calipers. With the car at idle and in drive, apply the parking brake. Lift your other foot slowly from the brake pedal. If the car moves forward with just the parking brake on, the rears AREN'T working!! and usually require new calipers to restore the rear brakes. Engine and trans are very reliable. They Don't get the best mileage, around 10 in town, maybe 15/18 on the open road.

·
Registered
'78 Seville Elegante - '92 Eldorado - '73 Corvette
24 Posts
Well, here in Switzerland it isn't that easy to find a junkyard that has another Seville with an working ECU...

I guess I better find one before I buy the car!
I live in the Netherlands and my current '78 Seville originally came from Switserland:)
A Cadillac friend of mine has a '77 Seville that came from Switserland as well, so that explains why they are hard to find for you:rolleyes:

For sure in Europe you can find these ECU's and if you don't want to search, you just buy one in the US.

BTW, they don't break every day. I drive a '78 Seville since 2005 and mine didn't break (yet).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts