Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
PAST: 1978 Blue CDV, 1976 Silver SDV, 1976 Carmine SDV CURRENT: 1978 White CDV
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am looking to replace the rear windshield on my 1978 Coupe DeVille. Think the ball from a neighbor bounced on it. The glass is intact but inside is shattered into thousands of pieces.

Looking at the setup, it looks like the access to the glass is from the inside- due to the vinyl top? Against the rear windshield from inside are trim with screws and the defogger. i am guessing this is where the old glass can be cutout.

If any can confirm this, that would be helpful.

Otherwise I don't see how it can be replaced without removing the whole top... which I am hoping is not the case.

I see replacement ones for $250 plus shipping. If anyone knows of a good source, please feel free to recommend.

Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
70 Deville 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
780 Posts
I don't think it's coming out or in from the inside. I think the glass shops know how to move the vinyl out of the way to do it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the heads up! i talked to a local glass shop they think the top needs to be totally removed prior and reinstalled after the glass is in. worst situation i could have expected... anyone else done this that can confirm/deny?

·
Registered
780 Posts
I guess they don't want to try to work with the vinyl. I would at least try to work around the vinyl first and if it doesn't work it doesn't work. Then it's time for a new vinyl top.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't had time to devote the resources to this, but trying to pick it back up now. everyone is telling me the top needs to be redone as well. Looking at some youtube videos I think I can work back the vinyl top or at most make some slight incisions in the top to allow access to the panels that overlay the window. I may have to reseal the top after for now and get the whole top redone next year. I will update in case anyone is interested for future.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mostly documenting this for anyone who need it for the future... went to a glass upholstery shop- they quoted me $2700 for the rear windshield install which I was already able to source, plus told me the vinyl top would need to be completely replaced. Obviously, I passed. I am going to try and peel back the top around the trim under the top/above the glass and take it to a regular glass shop who will do it for $200. Hopefully I can salvage the top with some 3M Hi-Tack Glue after. Update to come...

·
Registered
780 Posts
$2700 is the "I don't want to do this job" price. I don't think that vinyl has to be peeled back very much. Be careful and peel back as little as possible. I guess I am lucky to know 3 unemployed glass men off the top of my head.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts