Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 1977 Coupe Deville, with only 72,000 miles on it.
It's been sitting for 7 years, and just the other day my friend and I decided to get it running and back on the road.
(It was serviced, and everything was working when it was parked.)
The engine started right up, no problems, no unusual sounds, but when we tried to put it into gear, nothing happened.
There were no noises, nothing. We put the car up on jack stands and had someone try to shift it while it was running so we could see the bottom, and the connector from the shifter to the transmission was on correctly and moving.
What should we do to troubleshoot?

(Note: It is a bit low on tranny fluid, but not really that low, and we took the dipstick out while the front end was up about 6in higher than the back. Could this be the cause?)

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
10,108 Posts
Fluid level would be the first thing to check. Automatic transmissions don't work with low fluid.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh. Ok. The dipstick says the fluid is very low, but the front of the car is jacked up 6in. Would this mess up the reading? And also, what fluid should I throw in it, and should I change out the old stuff seeing it's 7 y old.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
10,108 Posts
I'll guess the filter/pickup in the trans sump is just sucking air. Get the front end down, get some fluid in it, and go from there. Don't bother changing it yet until you get the car moving.

·
Registered
Cadillac
985 Posts
Drop the trans pan and investigate. The '77 that I bought had been sitting for quite some time and enough sludge made its way into the filter and blocked the fluid and therefore no fluid and no pressure to apply gear changes.

Changed the fluid and filter and wa-la! Car started to move again under its own power (my symptom is that it would baaarely move when in gear and would almost free-rev, not good)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts