Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1977 Cadillac Coupe DeVille
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
New to the forums. Looks like a great place for good info. I need to get this car back to my house. It’s been sat for almost 2 years but was driven to the current location from about 15 miles away. Is there a special process I need to use to start it, or can I just put a new battery in and see if it starts? I don’t want to damage it. If I decide to tow it, do I put the front wheels up or the back if I can’t get a flatbed?

Thanks to anyone who feels kind enough to reply.

·
Registered
96 FWB
199 Posts
15 miles away from where? Where it WAS first sitting, or away from your house now? More than ~30 miles means greater odds of costly delay-stress-tow if trying to drive it home. A flatbed or float is preferable to towing, but either is better than driving. For towing, lift from back or hook the front and remove DS and do not drive again before checking the tranny fluid.
For driving, change oil (and of course pre-fill filter) BEFORE cranking. Take 5-gal gas and drain tank. Take small air comp., fire ext., starter fluid, known good batt, charger, glass cleaner, towel(s) and other cleaners. Rodents and insects love to nibble on hoses and wires, and a new airfilter will show if anything made a home in there. 2 years won't seize the rings, but remove all plugs and squirt in tranny fluid to save the bores. If 'twer me I'd get new ICM and dist. tuneup parts. They're reg. maint. items and could save heartache/delay. Budget 2-3 hours getting ready before heading home. Brakes may very well be forzen - take a floor jack & stands - big pieces of cardboard - light. There's more.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,695 Posts
Two years is nothing. Fresh battery, 10 gallons of gas, check the oil/coolant/brake fluid/etc. Pour a little gas straight down the carb, and start it up. Let it idle, check the air pressure in the tires, make sure that nothing is leaking terribly. Go through the gears with the brakes on. Check the trans fluid. Test the brakes. Drive it a few feet. Drive it a few more. Drive around the block. Drive it home.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Make sure there is air in the tires.
Check the fluids.
Make shure they look the normal color.
Especially water or a milky oil.
If the fluids look good I wouldn't bother changing oil till you got home.
Could try just charging and or jump starting before buying battery.
Splash a little fuel down the carb to prime.
Takes a bit for the mechanical fuel pump to fill the carb with fuel.
Don't crank more than 15 seconds, then let starter cool for few minuets.
After starting test the brakes by pushing down to make sure the pedal fells okay.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Make sure there is air in the tires.
Check the fluids.
Make shure they look the normal color.
Especially water or a milky oil.
If the fluids look good I wouldn't bother changing oil till you got home.
Could try just charging and or jump starting before buying battery.
Splash a little fuel down the carb to prime.
Takes a bit for the mechanical fuel pump to fill the carb with fuel.
Don't crank more than 15 seconds, then let starter cool for few minuets.
After starting test the brakes by pushing down to make sure the pedal fells okay.
Thanks very much. So far, most of the advice seems to be very very similar, so I'll be trying to get this beauty started soon. It's awesome to be able to have complete strangers with all this knowledge just jump on here to answer my questions!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Two years is nothing. Fresh battery, 10 gallons of gas, check the oil/coolant/brake fluid/etc. Pour a little gas straight down the carb, and start it up. Let it idle, check the air pressure in the tires, make sure that nothing is leaking terribly. Go through the gears with the brakes on. Check the trans fluid. Test the brakes. Drive it a few feet. Drive it a few more. Drive around the block. Drive it home.
Thanks. It absolutely had to have a fresh battery before it doesn't even have one right now!!🤣 Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
15 miles away from where? Where it WAS first sitting, or away from your house now? More than ~30 miles means greater odds of costly delay-stress-tow if trying to drive it home. A flatbed or float is preferable to towing, but either is better than driving. For towing, lift from back or hook the front and remove DS and do not drive again before checking the tranny fluid.
For driving, change oil (and of course pre-fill filter) BEFORE cranking. Take 5-gal gas and drain tank. Take small air comp., fire ext., starter fluid, known good batt, charger, glass cleaner, towel(s) and other cleaners. Rodents and insects love to nibble on hoses and wires, and a new airfilter will show if anything made a home in there. 2 years won't seize the rings, but remove all plugs and squirt in tranny fluid to save the bores. If 'twer me I'd get new ICM and dist. tuneup parts. They're reg. maint. items and could save heartache/delay. Budget 2-3 hours getting ready before heading home. Brakes may very well be forzen - take a floor jack & stands - big pieces of cardboard - light. There's more.
It's 7.3 miles from home. So half the distance than what it was last driven. I'll take all your advice on board. Thanks very much.

·
Registered
96 FWB
199 Posts
7.3 miles? Fer cryin' out loud just pull it with a chain and go to town on it in your own driveway. ;)

Seriously, glad you're bringing the old gal back to life.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
7.3 miles? Fer cryin' out loud just pull it with a chain and go to town on it in your own driveway. ;)

Seriously, glad you're bringing the old gal back to life.
All the help I can get is much appreciated. Just didn't want to destroy the car by doing something I shouldn't! Thanks for the info!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts