Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1976 Talisman Question

4K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  talismandave 
#1 ·
Hello All,

I read an ad on CL for a Fuel Injected 1976 Fleetwood Talisman. I planned to go look at the car in the morning but after closer inspection I believe it to be misrepresented in the ad and in reality it is a 1976 Fleetwood Brougham. It is still a beautiful car but I just wanted a second, or third, or forth....... opinion to help confirm my suspicions. It is about a two hour trip each way to look at it and now I am debating on whether or not to go.

Here is the link to the ad. It on the Huntsville, AL Craigslist.

http://huntsville.craigslist.org/cto/4871981175.html

Thanks for any info or opinions.

Regards,
James

#4 ·
I've looked at the listing 2 weeks ago, and yes it seemed sketchy, but if ur into this yellowish color I would say go for it.
I will be going to check a 1976 brougham in west coast.
Those cars are true pieces of American history.
Keep us updated with what you see if you travelled.

#6 ·
That video scares me a little. If it is for sale in New Market, AL why is listed on a dealership in Cottonwood, AK website. The pictures are exact as well as the description. This is getting more fishy all the time.

----------

Seems the dealer is more or less a locator, selling other people's cars for them.

#8 ·
I just got home from looking at the car. 6 hours wasted. Obviously it was not a Talisman. It was a Brougham. It was not fuel injected. I believe it had 166k miles rather than 66k. All the plastic in the interior was dry and crumbling. There was rust under the top material around the back glass and sail panel. It had several dents and dings. The steering wheel was broken all to pieces. It had not been registered since 1983, although he said he drove it home from Birmingham 3 years ago. It started well but smoked and sounded like a log truck. The tires were rotton.........etc.....
On a positive note the body and floor pans are solid. Seats were pretty good as was the headliner and the trunk was like new.
Needless to say I left where I found it. Better luck next time I guess.....

----------

The seller was a very nice, elderly gentleman who is confined to a wheelchair and suffers from ALS. He bought the car to restore and then got sick before he got started on it. If the car had looked as good in person as it did in the pictures I would have bought it, even though it was not a Talisman. The car is very salvageable but I do not want to take on another restoration project of that magnitude. I figured that even if I could buy the car in the $3000.00-$4000.00 range I would wind up with more in it than it would ever be worth. I already have a 1931 Model A Ford Sedan that has had a frame off restoration and I have a small fortune tied up in it. I also just didn't have the heart to make him an offer that far from his asking price. I just wanted a nice old driver not another restoration project.

#10 ·
#11 ·
Congratulations on finding yours and thanks for the lead on the Kentucky car! I'm only about 4 hours south of Louisville so I may check in to that one. I found a 71 Fleetwood 75 that belonged to the Funeral Home where my grandfather worked. I like the local connection but the 71 is not my favorite body style.

#13 ·
I liked the Black Fleetwood as well, especially the interior. I contacted the seller earlier today and it is already sold.

The more I look around the more I like the 71 Fleetwood 75. I worked at the same funeral home that owned for about six months before leaving to go to mortuary school. I have been trying to get to look at it since last weekend but have not been able to get with seller during the daylight hours. I hope to get to look at it on Friday of this week though. I'm not ruling it out till I see it in person.

Here is the link.
http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/cto/4835833229.html

#16 ·
Yeah that is a 72. I like those. There was one in GA that I had been eyeing for a long time, even called the dude. He originally posted it for $1850. It had rust on the sail panel, interior needed work and it was a formal limo. Had it posted for near a year, upped the price to $2500. Just wasn't a good enough base from which to start with that car. This one you are talking about, looks sweet! I LOVE:cloud9: how it looks in the second picture (driver's side, downhill slant).... And there's no divider? You should snatch that car up. Preserve it. If for some reason you loose interest in it, let Dave know. I'll stand in line somewhere behind him. :rolleyes:Or maybe he'll consider going in half. :yup: .. Good luck in your pursuit. If not this car, may you find a Fleetwood series 60 or 75 that soothes your heart.

#18 ·
I plan on looking at the Limo on Friday if nothing happens. I talked to another guy last night at church who is pretty sure he remembers the car sitting in the carport at the funeral home for years so the seller's story could be accurate which adds to my interest. I have some pictures of the interior on my cell. It is not the baroque interior unless it shows up sort of striped. I really like the the baroque interior. I had a 68 Calais that had it in it. In the small pictures its hard to tell. It needs a little finishing on the interior. He says that is the 10% that still needs restored. the jump seats also need recovered. I will let you know more when I look at it in person. Thanks for the input.

Haitham that looks like a beautiful car.

#19 · (Edited)
I looked at the Series 75 today. It was not what I hoped it would be. The interior needs a lot of work. The tag in the door says the car was built 3/71 and the title says it's a 71. None of the electrical worked save the driver's window. I passed on that one as well. Maybe I'll start looking for a Lincoln in stead........

#21 ·
Thanks for the search helps. That simplifies things some. I hesitate to buy a car I can't see in person. I bought a 1954 60 Special a few years ago and the seller "forgot" to mention a few things when we talked. I should have had my butt kicked for ever letting that car go. There are a few nice ones on eBay but it seems most of these cars appear on the west coast or in Florida.

#22 ·
Well, I understand that, but remember that we have people all over the globe in this forum and most would love the opportunity to "shop" with your money.
If you find something post a request and more than likely someone here would go drive it and get some high res photos of it for you!

#23 ·
Thanks, I may take you up on that. My wife and I tried to make a list yesterday of the Cadillacs I have owned. The count came to 26, ranging from 1949-1995 in various conditions from projects to daily drivers. It seems like they were easier to find and more affordable a few years ago. I wish I had kept them all with the exception of two 87 FWD with the HT4100s. You know what they say about hindsight being 20/20.......The longer I wait the more money I will have saved up if i can keep my patience.

#24 ·
You will be surprised by how helpful the people around here are.
There is a really great group of guys around here.
I have seen and benefited from some wonderful acts of kindness from members here.

Be sure to keep an eye on this thread, we "bench shoppers" keep our finds here!
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...d-rwd-cad-sale-have-rwd-197.html#post13928434

Also might consider dropping down to Community lounge and introducing yourself. Guys from all areas come there and it is a good way to expand your network.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.