Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2008 DTS LUXURY II
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found a 1976 Seville...triple white...fairly low miles of 80K Looks good in pics and I read it is a 350 engine RWD...? I haven't looked at it except in pictures....What am I looking out for in this car....Thanks in advance...if you have any tips....Seems Seville's are kinda rare,it's the straight trunk model not the other style I consider too much [for me].

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
20,214 Posts
Re: !976 Seville

I've found a 1976 Seville...triple white...fairly low miles of 80K Looks good in pics and I read it is a 350 engine RWD...? I haven't looked at it except in pictures....What am I looking out for in this car....Thanks in advance...if you have any tips....Seems Seville's are kinda rare,it's the straight trunk model not the other style I consider too much [for me].
============================
What am I looking out for in this car....
you are looking at a 39 year old car -
you need to "look out for" EVERYTHING -

rust - electrical problems - dry cracked interior vinyl and leather -
window and door seals -
carefully inspect every piece of rubber on the car -
pay close attention to the rubber bushings in the suspension -

·
Registered
2008 DTS LUXURY II
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks, I guess it would be a project changing all the bushings in the suspension, I had a 71 SDV and it did have problems because of the weight of the 472. Thanks I'll remember to look at that stuff....I hadn't even thought of the rubber seals and stuff. Gonna look at the add again, hoping no "Moon roof".

·
Registered
1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9
1,540 Posts

My 2cents :bigroll:
If it is affordable, do not accept rust or body damage; Figure on everything else being shot.
If it is in great condition in every way; Prepare to pay more than you ever imagined a "39 year old car" could possibly be worth.
But sometimes people run into great cars at great prices, so it never hurts to investigate :)

·
Registered
Eldorado
448 Posts

The drive train is solid, if a bit slow. But an original trans that age will be looking for all
new rubber seals inside (to engage the clutches), the engine must have an original timing
chain set replaced, and the fuel injection may cause more issues than a carb car of the era.

I believe the 76 rear brakes and the wheels are different from later Sevilles. Bruce Roe

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts

I agree with all of the above comments on things to check.

I owned a 1976 Seville, which I purchased new, for nine years and have to say it was one of my very favorite cars of all those I have owned. It was by no means quick, but it was very smooth and quiet, and the car's quality was a new high for post W.W. II American cars. I kept it for so long because the car remained rattle free and mechanically problem free, and the high quality of the car's materials and assembly with stood the test of time very well (this was certainly not typical of American cars of that periods which began to deteriorate rapidly after a year or two).

Buy only one in very good condition, as restoring one would cost way more than the car would be worth when you were finished.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts

Look for rust, what condition the paint body interior is in. Are all the parts there? Does it run good? Don't overpay and you should be OK. The market is very hit & miss with those cars.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts