Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
'80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe
2,096 Posts
That would make a great donor car for one needing an interior. I'd be really worried about an X measurement of the frame with a hit like that. The driver had poor aim. One should always line the target up with the hood ornament.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Yeah yeah. Without taking measurements there really is no way of knowing. Those frames were strong but not when it came to shoving 1 rail south of the other. There isn't a whole lot of stuff there to prevent a diamond shape of the frame with an uneven hit.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
that hit the fender, it was just structor damage.... it slightly shifted the nose (body panels) of the car, it may have bent the radiator support as well, but not nearly anything to damaged the frame.... hell I'd drive the thing as it is... kinda like yeah, it's been to the edge and back :)

·
Registered
1974 fleetwood 75, 1980 sedan deville, 1970 eldo
319 Posts
fender lights and maybe a door...500 bucks for the body parts and then paint...maybe 1500 at the most to have a perfect car probably.

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
You'd definately need a driver door, quarter panel, headlight surround, lights & lenses, bumper, and probably a hood, radiator support if not radiator, and underhood support peices. That was a strong hit, I wouldn't be shocked if the frame is indeed bent.

Still, imagine what it did to the other car!

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
on the fender there is a badge right under the bodyside trim....

now on the Eldo's it said 8.2 Litre... but IIRC the DeVille/Fleet didn't have that....

so IIRC, that says Fuel Injection.... so in that case, it is rather rare... don't see too many origanal fuel injection 70's Cad's around anymore...

·
Registered
2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD
3,723 Posts
Yes, that's where the badge would read "Fuel Injection". I used to have a FI 1976 Fleetwood!
But that one is missing the original gold air cleaner lid. So it may either been replaced, or the engine now has a carb on it.
That FI 500 in my old Fleetwood was the smoothest running 500 cubic inches ever!

·
Registered
1987 Brougham 1978 Seville
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the comments. I guess what it comes down to is a bent frame. I don't think the parts mentioned above would be that hard to find. I am going to look at it tomorrow and will report back my findings. If i could get it for $500.00 i just might have my winter project :)

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
yeah but see, a bent frame... today dosn't mean you can't fix it...

especailly with that car.... full body on frame, even if it was tweaked a bit, you could literally drive it to the frame shop (throw some air in that tire :) ) and I bet for a few hundred bucks they would strighten it out, it isn't all that bad.

It is simply a pulling machine, they hook up chains to the frame and pull it back, they have the exact specs for everything, once its done, you would never know anything happened...... so even *IF* there was frame damage, I woudln't throw that out.

Think about it, it needs no interior work, engine and drivetrain etc... so even with frame work, new (used) parts from a unkyard and then just get a complete paint job (you get to choose the color :) ) you would have a hell of a car.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
...a few thousand dollars later! :) But, he's right, there's very few cars on the road today as cool as a big long classic Fleetwood!

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
yeah, if i had more money and freedom (not still living at home) I would consider that. It would be a great winter project.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
That car does have the fuel injection emblems. You cannot be sure from the VIN until '77 where it changes to a T for fuel injection instead of an S. That fuel injection stuff looks pretty much the same as a carbonator setup and with those lousy pictures you cannot really tell.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
The Fleetwood was so much more car than the Deville :) I've owned several of both!

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
There wasn't too much difference. Just 3 inches, which isn't much when you're talking 19'+ cars. I personally love the Sedan Deville because of the lack of B pillars, put a sunroof in there and you almost have a 'vert...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts