Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1976 Fleetwood Commercial Chassis
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1976 Cadillac Superior Regal Landau - when I turn key I get these four dashboard warning lights simultaneously:

Coolant Temperature - Stop Engine Oil Pressure - Stop Engine Temperature - Brakes

New battery October 2014. No clicking sound - car just sits there when key is held in start position. some local advice says bad starter, some say short somewhere.

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
Re: Cadillac 1976 Fleetwood wont start, Commercial chassis

Jack the car up on the side where the starter is. Have someone bang the starter with a hammer while you hold the key in the start position. If it even tries to spin the engine, you need a starter. OR.... you have a weak battery. I presume you tried jumping it before you posted? Normal for those lights to come on, that just verifies the bulbs work.

·
Registered
1970 Coupe De Ville//Cessna 172
551 Posts
Re: Cadillac 1976 Fleetwood wont start, Commercial chassis

I wonder about your neutral safety switch. Seems like the car knows the key has been turned but the starter won't engage. Jiggle the gearshift and see if anything happens. Then put her in neutral and try it as well--Up/down with the gearshift with the key turned. Every once in a while, I have to push my gearshift up just a bit for the starter to engage. If not then you need to determine if it is trying to start. Turn the headlights on and then hit the key. If they dim then the starter is stuck...... However my bet is your NSS.
Jeff

1 - 3 of 3 Posts