Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1976 Cadillac Brougham D'elegance
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I just discovered a bad fuel leak on the steel line that is connected onto the fuel filter in the carburetor.
The fuel line has a hole right where it bends, in other words the leak is just around 5-7 inches far from the fuel filter nut.

Im assuming i need a new fuel line, but where do i get these from? As i can tell from looking at it, the line has a certain shape.

Help would be appreciated as the car wont be running again until this problem is fixed.

·
Registered
1977 Eldorado, 1973 Sedan DeVille
52 Posts
I had the same problem on my 77 Eldorado and got rid of the metal fuel line and installed regular fuel line from the carburetor to the fuel pumps. Working as a champ.

·
Registered
1964 Convertible, 1974 Corvette coupe, 1974 Corvette Vert
80 Posts
I had the same problem on my 77 Eldorado and got rid of the metal fuel line and installed regular fuel line from the carburetor to the fuel pumps. Working as a champ.
There's a good reason why the OEMs didn't use rubber fuel line between the pump and carb. I would strongly suggest that you replace the steel line with a steel line.
Anyone with an (for example) Eastwood flaring kit can make you a new steel fuel line. You can even use the old flare nuts. The cost of the short bit of steel line is around a dollar. Plus labour.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn

·
Registered
1978 Eldorado Biarritz
59 Posts
Before you go replacing the line…check that the plastic sealing ring inside
the the fuel filter housing on the carb is good. THese are notorious for getting pinched
or split. ONce that happens gas will always leak past the big fittings and run down the steel line.
No amount of tightening will stop the gas from running down the line.
I'm sure this is why so many Q-Jets have bad threads on that fuel housing.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ive never seen any plastic rings on the fuel filter housing.
I do know for a fact that the line itself is pinched

·
Registered
1979 Coupe deVille, 1995 Sedan DeVille (sold)
1,846 Posts
I'll second (third?) the call for a steel line. My dad lost a car to an engine fire caused by a rubber fuel line to the carb (factory installation)

There are usually shops around that can bend and flare a new fuel line for you. Just bring the old one in as a template. Ask around at auto parts stores. They can usually refer you to someone.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im waiting on a custom steel line to be delivered, thanks for the input though

1 - 8 of 8 Posts