Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1986 Fleetwood Brougham
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am new to this forum. I joined because I have liked the first generation Sevilles since I was a kid. I have never driven one. I have read the magazine reviews from the 70s and know they were well received. But how did they hold up? Is a low mileage car still tight? I ask because I was in a downsized early 80s Eldorado once and thought it felt "loose". It rattled a lot too.

I'd like to know what these cars are like to drive and own, ideally compared to other cars of the era. In terms of buying one what should I look out for? Could you recommend a mechanic or two in the Los Angeles area to service the car and do a pre-purchase inspection? How troublesome is the fuel injection system?

Thank you.

Pete

·
Registered
1976 Seville
12 Posts
I just bought one. 1976. Actually has less rattles than my 2000 Grand Marquis if that helps. Parts can be a bit difficult to find though.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have owned two of these and love them. They are very tight cars and do not rattle if they do it is something easy to fix like the ash tray door or a rubber suspension part. IF your motor is running well they are as smooth as silk and drive better than a lot of new cars.

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
I owned my 1976 Seville for over nine years during which time I put around 65,000 of California miles on the car. I always took good care of it and when I sold it in 1985 the car looked like it was maybe 1 1/2 years old. The exterior and interior finish and materials held up very well. The car never squeaked or rattled and the car never required any repairs, other than routine maintenance, with the exception of the headlight buckets which were made from a plastic that deteriorated and had to be replaced about every two years. On my car the fuel injection never gave any problems. For me the first generation Seville was a very satisfactory personal luxury sedan which looks a good today as it did back in the '70's.

My only advice on buying one these Sevilles would be to buy the very best one you can find. Bringing one of these cars back from a neglected state would cost far more than the car would be worth when you got done.

·
Registered
1986 Fleetwood Brougham
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Waterzapp, Rueben, Orconn thank you for the feedback. I drove a Seville today for the first time and agree it is generally a tight car for the era. I liked the ride and quietness however the steering felt old fashioned and vague because it was way over-assisted.

Since the Nova and F-car platforms are related I wonder if a good Cadillac mechanic could install into a Seville the higher-effort power steering pump and other hardware that give the mid-70s Camaro Z28s and Firebird TransAms their heavier steering feel. Even if a Firebird pump could not be bolted on without some custom brackets or hoses being made I'd still be interested.

Im going to ask my ace alignment guy if going through the car to optimize corner balance, alignment, ride height, shocks, maybe even springs and sway bars could tighten up the handling feel without destroying the riding comfort. That on top of higher-effort steering would make the Seville drive and handle just like a modern car!

If anyone has any thoughts on the idea to increase the steering effort please let me know. Or on improving the handling in general. If you know of any steering or suspension gurus on our site please refer me to them (I am a newer member).

Also I'm worried about keeping the EFI running. Even when it runs right there is often a miss at idle, at least that's what I've been told. If there is a great mechanic for these systems in Los Angeles I'd rather keep the EFI for smog and have the pro take care of any periodical adjustments needed to keep it running right. If there is no such guy I would love to replace the EFI with a 4-bbl carb. Has anyone done that and found a way around the smog check issue in Calif? You can e-mail me privately.

Thanks.

Pete

·
Registered
1963 CDV & 1976 Seville
13 Posts
I've owned my 76 Seville for almost 3 years now. I bought it cheap with 104K miles on it but it was meticulously maintained it's whole life. I am amazed at how well it rides & handles after all these years & miles -love the car! I owned a 79 Trans Am in high school & I can detect a lot of similarities in the chassis & engine. The T/A had an Olds 403 & the Seville has an Olds 350. That said you probably could put T/A parts on it but keep in mind that this is a Cadillac & extensive work was done to give it a cushy ride & effortless steering. Although it is more nimble than a full sized Caddy of that era, it is not a sports car. I loved my T/A too but it rode like a log wagon. It was also about 600 lbs lighter than the Seville. So far the EFI is running well. Smog check is not applicable on cars over 24 years old in Texas so if the ever EFI craps out & no ECU is avaialble she's getting a 4bbl.
Seville.JPG

1 - 8 of 8 Posts