Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1975 coupe deville
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having an issue with the thermal switch which energizes the clutch on the ac compressor. It gets hot and after several days of use, the thermal switch blows. I am on my second switch and after a few minutes gets very hot. I disconnected it until I can get some help of what the issue might be causing this problem. I certainly would appreciate help.

Bob

·
Registered
1980 FBC
980 Posts
If it's a superheat switch there's a connection to a low pressure switch on the back of the compressor. When the low side goes too low in pressure it melts the switch as a safety device for the compressor.

·
Registered
1975 coupe deville
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have a superheat switch on the compressor however the thermal switch is mounted near the evapcoil just screwed in place on the plastic housing. That is the sensor I am having problems with. Based on your response, I did loose refrigerant, would it cause that thermal switch to melt? I do have a schematic of the system if there is a way of me emailing it to you.

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
1980 FBC
980 Posts
Been 31 years since I even thought about this.

My terminology is off. The Superheat switch is the thingy on the compressor which electrically closes with low suction side pressures.

It literally shorts out and kills the other cockroach thing mounted on the evap housing when refrigerant is low. This action keeps the compressor from running without enough gas/oil......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts