Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, i am the proud owner of the above car..love it too. i have been unable to register my car to drive legally on our roads in New Zealand as i have been unable to trace any of its history and i have no importation records or boarder control paperwork.
There is the original Fisher Body Tag which is untampered with but that is not enough for our govt rules to have the car on the road. I am putting it out there to see if there may be anyway that someone out here may have a way to trace a cars history? I know its not easy but surely theres a way ?
The car was imported into NZ more than 10 years ago and its been in storage here for most of that time - now that i have the time i would very much like to have this lovely car back on the road here - its in great nick and runs like a dream, with what appears to be its original 500 cubic - V8.2 litre motor.
If theres anyone out there that has any help in regard to the steps i could take to trace the car in the USA before it was shipped over to NZ i would be very grateful. Iknow its a long shot but otherwise i have a great big car as a paper weight here as its legally not allowed to driven over here with no VIN and it cant be re-vinned without the cars history - I hope to hear from someone..thanks people..Kind regards April

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,660 Posts
How does it have no VIN? There's no VIN on the tag under the windshield? I think in '74 the VIN would also be stamped on the rear block pad.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How does it have no VIN? There's no VIN on the tag under the windshield? I think in '74 the VIN would also be stamped on the rear block pad.
Hi thankyou for your reply. i have no idea why no vin, the car is as i got it. there is no tag under the windscreen as i did look it up and thats where it should been displayed, nothing there. I have tried to look at the back of the engine block but its not visible either - by looking i mean - climbing over and looking with a torch at the back of the motor from in side the engine bay, i cant see anything there but i have to be honest, i have no idea if i am looking for a tag or if its stamped into the block? does the motor have to be taken out to have a look? It certainly seems to be an original motor, but then again i am a total novice - i just happen to love the big american cars and the sound of the motors.
The fisher body tag is the only i.d that is apparent. Does it mean the cars been damaged so badly its been rebuilt? and thats why no windscreen tag? as thats what i have been thinking - but there does not seem to be that much bog or panel repair work thats been done, again from a novice. Its so frustrating as its such a lovely car thats had money spent on it previous to my buying it that it just seems bizzare that theres no marking/tag.
Is the Fisher body tag not actually any i.d at all?

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,660 Posts
I don't know about the Cadillacs, but the old Chevy cars and trucks have the number stamped into the block, not a tag. I don't know if it would be a partial or complete VIN, but it could get you on the right track.

The Fisher body tag number doesn't correspond to the VIN, unfortunately.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thankyou, so to be clear a can of degreaser to the back of the block maybe? by back, i mean is that the side closest to the windscreen?

·
Registered
19,660 Posts
Yeah, closest to the windshield.

I would also consider joining the Cadillac LaSalle Club forums and asking there. They might be able to help you further. Lots of very knowlegeable restoration minded people on that forum.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi there, i am the proud owner of the above car..love it too. i have been unable to register my car to drive legally on our roads in New Zealand as i have been unable to trace any of its history and i have no importation records or boarder control paperwork.
There is the original Fisher Body Tag which is untampered with but that is not enough for our govt rules to have the car on the road. I am putting it out there to see if there may be anyway that someone out here may have a way to trace a cars history? I know its not easy but surely theres a way ?
The car was imported into NZ more than 10 years ago and its been in storage here for most of that time - now that i have the time i would very much like to have this lovely car back on the road here - its in great nick and runs like a dream, with what appears to be its original 500 cubic - V8.2 litre motor.
If theres anyone out there that has any help in regard to the steps i could take to trace the car in the USA before it was shipped over to NZ i would be very grateful. Iknow its a long shot but otherwise i have a great big car as a paper weight here as its legally not allowed to driven over here with no VIN and it cant be re-vinned without the cars history - I hope to hear from someone..thanks people..Kind regards April

I would also consider joining the Cadillac LaSalle Club forums and asking there. They might be able to help you further. Lots of very knowlegeable restoration minded people on that forum.

Hi thanks for tht, i have now cut and pasted the same message i first put up here, on to the Lasalle forum..thks for your input. Have a good day

1 - 8 of 8 Posts