Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, me and my son are working on the ole gal and I want to adjust the quadra bog .. We have it running but running really rich , my son figured he would adjust it well I think it's running worse. Does anyone know how to adjust one ? I thought it was bottom out the idle needles and turn them out 2 1/4 turns and then adjust one side at a time to get the most vacuum is that correct? Also do I have to plug every port coming off the carb except for the one I'm using for vacuum gauge? It would be great if I could get this thing to purr again after sitting so long..

·
Registered
95 FWB 81SDV 96 FWB 94 Fleetwood
1,543 Posts
I think its time for a carb rebuild. If you can do it yourself great, If not best to have it done by someone who knows how. But DON'T get another carb, use the one you have.

·
Registered
1980 FBC
3,163 Posts
I would first make sure the distributor mechanical advance isn't binding. This happens to every one of these and it breaks starters and makes idle really rough.

Also be sure all cylinders are firing.

Then check for vacuum leaks around the carbonator base and intake manifold to head gasket using carbonator spray.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
drmenar and APEMAN , I was looking at the carb today to get the number's off so I could order the correct kit for rebuilding the carb . while I looked at the carb I started it up letting it run for a bit then I put on the timing light and found the advance was not working . I put a tee connection and splice the vacuum line aweek ago going to the tranny solinoid. I had another post as to where that solinoid went to as it was not connected to anything. I guess the line I used didn't seal good so their was a no vacuum , I got it to seal and it seem's to be working fine now. I will be ordering a rebuild kit over the weekend and see how it goes it doesn't look that hard to rebuild . The test will be adjusting it when I'm done.

·
Registered
1980 FBC
3,163 Posts
The advance you were working with is the vacuum advance. There's also a mechanical advance.

Time to check it out in a good service manual.

The vacuum advances back in '72 usually used ported vacuum and not manifold vacuum. Manifold vacuum on that car will put the timing in a zone where idle will be difficult at best.

Ported vacuum is vacuum which generally increases with throttle angle. One of the carbonator lines has it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't under stand what you mean by..... ( The advance you were working with is the vacuum advance. There's also a mechanical advance) where is this mechanical advance you speak of ?

·
Registered
95 FWB 81SDV 96 FWB 94 Fleetwood
1,543 Posts
If you take off the distributor cap then take off the rotor you will see the mechanical advance.They are made of weights and springs. What happenes is the weights get stuck and do not move freely. Make sure they move freely and the springs are not broken. If the vacuum advance is good the arm will move when you put vaccum to it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you take off the distributor cap then take off the rotor you will see the mechanical advance.They are made of weights and springs. What happenes is the weights get stuck and do not move freely. Make sure they move freely and the springs are not broken. If the vacuum advance is good the arm will move when you put vaccum to it.
I wasn't clear as to what he was referencing to I understand now. As for the advance it was not working because I spliced the hose and it didn't have a good seal I replaced the line and all is good now. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well just got my rebuild kit in today and tore the carb apart . I noticed that all the needles were bent. the 2 needles that are by the float were bent like a ( L ) so I am going too guess that the previous owner rebuilt this carb and did it wrong.... that way it was running so shitty .. well hopefully i'll be out of work early tomorrow so I can fine tune the carb..

·
Registered
96 FWB
874 Posts
You will do well to get the Q-Jet book by Doug Roe. And heads up no more quadra bog or Rochester doorstop trash talk or you gonna have alotta guys coming through the interwebs at ya. LOL

And you've had to have heard about this by now:

And you may want to familiarize yourself on mech. advance aftermarket weights and springs to dial in the optimal curve.

Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts