Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Fleetwood Seventy-Five; 94 Fleetwood Brougham; 06 DTS
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to possibly buy a 1972 Series 75 that I've run across. Most everything about the car seems great, but the seller does say: "the air flow comes out at the floor only and temp does not change when you adjust the climate control. Also the rear has no functions."

Does anyone here have any idea what it would take and what it would cost to repair an old climate control like this? Most likely I would just pay a mechanic to fix it. I'm trying to decide if buying the car would be worth the cost/hassle of getting it fixed.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
1970 Deville Convertible
309 Posts
It should be a relatively easy fix. Give Cadillac Tim a call, here's a link to his web page: http://cadillactim.com/page1.html I have a '70, bought one of his books (well worth it!), it tells step by step on how to troubleshoot and repair that system.

Is the a/c blowing cold? Generally the most expensive fix is if the a/c doesn't blow cold air. If it's cold, you're gold. :) The rest is generally an easy fix, but do call Tim, he is a wealth of knowledge!

If the a/c doesn't blow cold, you're looking at about $1000 in parts alone (worst case).

·
Registered
1985 Fleetwood 75
345 Posts
I am assuming you have the 75 formal with the rear AC/ heater unit in the trunk and partition window?
for the front only blowing to the floor it sounds like you have no vacuum source going into the programmer to pull the door to vent out front during AC.
AC should pull door to blow front and heat floor same as rears. I think it should pull E brake release automatically but not sure that early year. look for vacuum tube into the firewall on driver side is it connected.
if you have vacuum into the programmer pull it out and check connections for cold solder joints possibly the little vacuum solenoids have gone brittle or open circuit due to vibration.
Pretty basic circuit board inside.
also I think you will need a vacuum source to the the rear control doors as well they will probably default to floor if no vacuum.
does the rear blower work does power get to the rear switch.
Look for vacuum first maybe replace those vacuum hoses as they may be cracked and brittle use a vacuum gauge to confirm.
need some photos to see what looking at service manual for that car would be hard to find just have to assume GM did not do too much changes to later models.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. The car is a sedan, so no divider window. The seller says no cold air so it sounds like a pretty big job. The car is nearly 5 hours away from me, so I'm trying to gather as much info as I can before going to look at it. Hopefully I can talk the guy down a bit, otherwise I might have to pass on the car.

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,737 Posts
I'm surprised you expect that old of a car would have everything working! If this is your first foray into old car ownership, then be prepared to be blindsided a few times after purchase. If you have to rely on a mechanic for repairs, spend more money on a better car. "pay me now, or pay me later"

·
Registered
1970 Deville Convertible
309 Posts
Most everything was working on my '70 when I got it (a/c was not blowing cold, I replaced everything except the condenser & hoses). A/C doors, heat, defrost work fine. Windows, trunk pull down, twilight sentinel work. Cruise did not ( it was the transducer, now it works). Some things do fail over time, some do not.

The advice above is right on about spending the money on the best car you can afford. It generally saves in the long run. And make sure the paint is decent. These are LARGE cars and costly to paint. Next is a good interior, tough to patch interiors with the difficulty of matching colors, unless you do all of it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I certainly don't expect everything to work on a car over 40 years, I just want to make sure I know what I need to invest before making a purchase. While this would be my first classic car, I've known enough people with them to understand old stuff breaks! :) The car is priced near the top of what I have saved for another Cadillac and want to know what I'm in for, especially on something as important as the climate control. The paint on the car is quite good and the interior is excellent, too.

·
Registered
1980 FBC
979 Posts
Start the car, turn the climate control to 60 and the blower on high. See if the front of the AC compressor is spinning or not.

If it is put your finger on the AC condensor lines and see if they are hot. Be careful.

If the compressor is not running and/or the condensor lines are not hot chances are the AC repair will be costly.

The air coming out of only the lower vents can be as simple as lack of control vacuum to the climate control system. Number one cause for this is a bad automatic parking brake release diaphragm or vacuum PRNDL switch.

The problem can also be the entire system is wrecked.

One has to make the commitment to learning some troubleshooting when owning old cars like this. Otherwise one lands up paying through the nose while the repair person learns a new line of car, yours.

99.99% of mechanics deeply experienced with these cars have moved on. Many to the graveyard.

Best of luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts