Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2000 eldorado, 99 deville, 92 brougham limo, 71 sedan deville
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope y’all are well, it’s been a while but you’ve given some great advice in the so I figure I’d go to the well again......

my dear all original 71deville refuses to crank. Back story is it fell victim to some mild flooding here in New Orleans. Wasn’t too bad, but did get some water in the oil. Never started it after that, but I let the bad oil sit in there for too long I think, I by time I got around to swapping it out, it refused even try to start. With a new battery installed windows and lights all come on, but no crank at all. The most I got out of it was a lazy almost not even there quarter turn over. Had a new starter put on but nothing still. I sure of where to go with it now. The guy I have working on it says it’s probably locked up.
So do I rebuild? Replace? Haven’t had much luck finding another 472 nearby. Wouldn’t really want to go smaller. I do have a 92 brougham limo with some serious rust issues. Motor runs like a top though, and only has 85k on it. Would it be possible, or advisable even, to put that motor in the deville? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
95 FWB 81SDV 96 FWB 94 Fleetwood
1,441 Posts
take the spark plugs out and then try to crank it.. If water got in the cylinders it could do like you say. If it does crank good with the plugs out , dry it out by more cranking , maybe spray some wd40 in there . Then put new plugs in and try to start.

·
Registered
224 Posts
There are a few ways an engine could lock up.
Sometimes the rings & pistons sieze up in the cylinders.
Because you say it turned almost 3/4 of a turn is a good outlook.
It means that the pistons are moving to a point.

If you got water in the oil then there's a good chance you got water in the cylinders.
A piston goes up till it can't compress the water and locks up.

Remove the spark plugs.
Try cranking with the starter.

Sometimes stubborn semi locked engines need some rust penitrator sprayed down the spark plug holes.
Then manualy turn the engine back and forth.
Do this with a socket & rachet on the crankshaft balancer bolt.
Or by prying the flywheel.

More so with newer surpenteen belts, but accesories like the alternator, water pump, power steering, A/C, etc. locking up have been known to make it seem like an engine problem.
Last resort try removing the belts.

Another concern would be was it exposed to freezing conditions with flood water in the oil pan & possibly other parts like the cylinders.

Think you have a good chance of getting the same engine working with just a bit of shop time.
It's possible to put the 92 in but would be a lot of additional work vs another Cady carberated V8.
The 92 uses a SBC trans bolt pattern. The 92 trans is different. Driveshaft & crossmenber may not be a direct fit.
Then you need to make the computer from the 92 work.
It may need electrinic tuning with a different gear ratio, tire size, etc.
Don't know if there would be a problem with the engine computer not having the ABS system connected.
Mechanical stock speedometer & odometer would not work.
Motor mounts would be different. May need to make holes to bolt 92 mount pads in.
Exhaust is different.
All these problems could be worked out.
Such as using an aftermarket computer & an old Chevy 3 speed trans.
But it's time & money with a learning curve.
It's not a basic weakend swap.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are a few ways an engine could lock up.
Sometimes the rings & pistons sieze up in the cylinders.
Because you say it turned almost 3/4 of a turn is a good outlook.
It means that the pistons are moving to a point.

If you got water in the oil then there's a good chance you got water in the cylinders.
A piston goes up till it can't compress the water and locks up.

Remove the spark plugs.
Try cranking with the starter.

Sometimes stubborn semi locked engines need some rust penitrator sprayed down the spark plug holes.
Then manualy turn the engine back and forth.
Do this with a socket & rachet on the crankshaft balancer bolt.
Or by prying the flywheel.

More so with newer surpenteen belts, but accesories like the alternator, water pump, power steering, A/C, etc. locking up have been known to make it seem like an engine problem.
Last resort try removing the belts.

Another concern would be was it exposed to freezing conditions with flood water in the oil pan & possibly other parts like the cylinders.

Think you have a good chance of getting the same engine working with just a bit of shop time.
It's possible to put the 92 in but would be a lot of additional work vs another Cady carberated V8.
The 92 uses a SBC trans bolt pattern. The 92 trans is different. Driveshaft & crossmenber may not be a direct fit.
Then you need to make the computer from the 92 work.
It may need electrinic tuning with a different gear ratio, tire size, etc.
Don't know if there would be a problem with the engine computer not having the ABS system connected.
Mechanical stock speedometer & odometer would not work.
Motor mounts would be different. May need to make holes to bolt 92 mount pads in.
Exhaust is different.
All these problems could be worked out.
Such as using an aftermarket computer & an old Chevy 3 speed trans.
But it's time & money with a learning curve.
It's not a basic weakend swap.
thanks a million! seems like sound advice. definitely looking for a much easier install on the swap end, as little modification as i can get away with, but will definitely give the plug thing a shot. had a set i was gonna put in anyway, so no problem. not much chance of a freeze around these parts, but who knows. thanks again!

·
Registered
70 Deville 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
716 Posts
How long ago was the flood? Was the entire engine submerged? It's not sounding too hopeful.

·
Registered
96 Fleetwood Brougham
10 Posts
Another trick that might help would be after taking out your spark plugs and making sure there isn't water in the cylinders, pour transmission fluid into the cylinders and let it sit for several days before trying to turn it over without the spark plugs in it. Its messy (it will throw transmission fluid out of the spark plug holes as you turn it over) but I've watched it work. I agree with what LV_Cady said-the fact that it moved at all is a good sign.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How long ago was the flood? Was the entire engine submerged? It's not sounding too hopeful.
It’s been about a year and a half I guess; far from completely submerged though. Had it up on blocks, barely enough water to wet the carpet got inside, so reasonably sure the motor didn’t go completely under

·
Registered
224 Posts
If it got flood water in the oil then there's a chance it also got in the cylinders.
Because there is no reasonable place for flood water to leak in the oil except up on top of the engine.

Pull the plugs and go from there.

Don't forget to drain & replace your trans & rear end fluid.
After it runs I would flush the brake fluid.

·
Registered
95 FWB 81SDV 96 FWB 94 Fleetwood
1,441 Posts
If you got any water in the transmission and then start the motor the water will react with the glue on the clutches and it will be rebuild time. You might have a chance to save it by draining and hoping just a small amount is at the bottom of the pan.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Forgot to say replace the power steering fluid.
Carfull with the engine oil. You replaced it. But if there's still flood water in the cylinders, water sitting in the upper end, or penitrating oil used in the cylinders you may want to drain again. The engine can take a small amount of condensation water. Water it is bad news for the bearings very fast.

The longer the car sits the worse the internals of everything is going to rust & sluge up.
When a vehicle goes deep in water everything should be flushed, cylinders blown out, Ignition dried, and running ASAP.

·
Registered
1980 FBC
969 Posts
Flooded but not too bad with water in the oil?

The 472 would not suffer any water ingress in a flood unless the water level were to get very deep.

The dipstick opening is the lowest part followed by the crankcase breather which might be leaky.

This would also pretty trash the rest of the car.

Is the battery ok? How much current is the starter drawing?

Is the braided ground strap connected between the engine block and the chassis?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hey ya'll havent circled back around to this project again just yet, but will keep you updated thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts