Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1970 Sedan deVille hardtop
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got my Cadillac, it had its stereo, but no speakers, and no wiring. I'm finally getting around to fixing that, and am totally confused about the wiring situation. (I'm not into audio stuff)
The car has four speakers, two in the dash, and two in the rear. But, the wiring from the stereo I don't get. There is one four-prong connector (wires are: green, black w/ grn stripe, white and black w/wht stripe) and a seperate single prong connector (grey wire) coming out. The power supply is already hooked up, and I have had the stereo out before - there are no cut wires anywhere, so this is it. This is the stock stereo, btw - the pushbutton AM/FM "signal seeking" radio.

The owners manual says that I should have controll over front/rear stereo balance, but mentions nothing about left/right balance so I am assuming the radio does not have that capability.
Anyways, here's where I am now: I think the grey wire is for a power antenna on cars that had one? My car has the in-windshield antenna, but I think Fleetwoods had a power antenna?
For speaker wiring, do I put the + from each speaker at one end of the car to, say, the green wire, and the the - from that same pair to the green/black wire? Or, do I connect the speakers in series? I guess I'm just confused on which way to connect eight speaker wires into a four prong connector! Anyone out there with more stereo knowledge than me?

·
Registered
'80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe
2,096 Posts
The wiring legend is usually stamped into the radio's top or bottom cover.
Some of those years use a remote unit with the power transistors on a seperate heatsink. I cannot remember how to tell.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I don't recall there being anything stamped on there when I had it out.
I do have a huge thing hanging off one side of the stereo with a big finned heatsink, could that be it.

Anyways, I hooked up my voltmeter to the four terminals and got voltage from the solid colored wires ones and <1V from the black/stripe ones. So, I hooked up just the front speakers that I have wired using the solid colored wires as + and the striped as - and got sound from one speaker. Switched which terminals the speakers were hooked up to and got sound from the other one, so I'm thinking that one side of the radio is dead? How hard would it be to open up the radio and try to fix this?

I'm assuming that the wires are front +/- and rear +/- because that's the only way that seems to make sense with the wires colored as they are.

·
Registered
'80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe
2,096 Posts
Hopefully, someone here has been through one of these recently. You can get some output mixing wrong pairs of wires. That's all I know.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmmm, figured if I mixed the wrong wires, all I'd get is static, or nothing. Might have to play some more then. I got normal radio reception though. A bit scratchy if I tried to turn it up very high, but definately normal radio output.
As long as it isn't long-term, will having the speakers connected wrong hurt anything? What about not having all the speaker wires from the radio connected, is that okay? C'mon, someone else here has to know something about stereos.
Maybe I'll have to go by the dealership and see if they have anything, or just buy FSM's.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, but they don't have anything like the wiring on this car. 1970 is back whan a casette player was optional even on a Cadillac! (and the tape-player was an external unit under the dash!)

Since it seems that one side of the radio is dead, I think I'm going to look into putting a GM tri-band radio I salvaged from a newer Caddy in the junkyard. I think it has a tape player, too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts