Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1970 Coupe DeVille convertible
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on the home stretch of putting new rings, rod bearings, main bearings and timing chain in my 70 472. I have been very meticulous with reassembly however after all of this has been done I find it very, very, very difficult to manually turn over the engine. There are no spark plugs in and I guess at this stage I thought I could grab the crank pulley and turn it with little difficulty. If anyone has some advice I would be very appreciative. Thank you.

·
Registered
1983 FWB (Mac), 1981 SDV (Junkyard Dog)
734 Posts
Can you turn the engine more easily with the flex plate? I am assuming that you have also re-bored the block and replaced the pistons. There is a lot of new stuff that will make the engine harder to turn over. Also, don't forget to do a pre-start up oil up. This is done just prior to installing the distributor and the engine is filled with oil. With a dummy oil pump driveshaft (you will likely have to make one) and an electric drill you turn the oil pump and pressurize the entire engine. Be sure to get a good grip on the drill because when the pump gets hold of the oil, the drill will try to spin out of your hands. I have just finished a total rebuild on my 81 368 engine and my pre-start oil up revealed a leak at the pump base. The pump pressure relief valve had not been properly tightened in place. Sure glad I didn't have to track that one down after the car was running and on the road.

Cheers...........R.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have the flex plate on yet. Thanks for the information on pre lubing, definitely going to do that. Thanks again.

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,665 Posts
When I built my 500, it was hard or near impossible to turn without force. I was so worried, I started a thread on another forum about it. They said everything was normal. I put the starter on and it had no problem turning the motor. Did you put studs or bolts in the main caps? I put studs and didn't get it centerline honed and thought it was related to the different forces on the crank from the studs. Even when I rebuilt it the second time, it was hard to turn. Unfortunately, the harder it is to turn, the more your rings are robbing you of power.

Of course, make sure your bearings are of the correct size and have the correct clearances.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I put bolts in the bearing caps. Thanks for your post it makes me feel better, I plan on getting the starter on it soon, hope it acts like yours.

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,665 Posts
No problem, that was my experience though(enter disclaimer here). If your bearing clearances are where they should be and rod caps were put on correctly, I'd say it's just new rings on newly honed cylinders.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts