Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey what's up, im new to this forum so ill try and keep it short.

2 days ago i purchased a 69 coupe deville with the 472 V8, 700 bucks i payed for it. Real good condition, no rust, clean interior, no body damage, good chrome, all together a real clean 69, the guy just wanted to get rid of it.

Anyways the point is it wont start!!! It gets power when the key is in the run position but when you try to crank her over theres a click from the starter and all power is lost. All the wiring looks good tho and the battery i just replaced. Could it be a bad ground or a starter problem?

Any info would be greatly appreciated, i wanna get this beast running ASAP Thanks, Frank Philly,PA

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
batery terminals are clean!! Relay switch is a possibility, how do i check this? Could it be a bad ignition switch??

·
Registered
2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD
3,723 Posts
If the ignition switch was bad, the starter wouldn't engage, or in your case "click". My guess is a bad starter. Who knows how old the one that's on it now is. A rebuilt one is pretty cheap, I'd just replace it, it's very easy to do! You could try hooking 12 volts right to the starter and see if it will turn. If it does, then I'd look at wiring problems.

·
Registered
1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20
2,795 Posts
Headlights work? Turn them on and watch what they do when you try to crank the car. Do they dim considerably, go out completely, or stay bright?

Philly? Good to see another classic Cad in the area!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HEY GOOD NEWS. WE GOT HER STARTED!!!!

turns out the battery terminals werent tight enough, tightened them up jumped her with a little starting fluid and she fired right up. Added oil, power steering fluid, new gas and tranny fluid and shes running beautifully. Runs great, idles smooth. ONLY PAYED 700 FOR IT.

Thanks for your advice everyone, stay tuned for more info and upgrades in the near future. Im takin this one to the top.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i had that problem too. turned out it was a bad battery. fires up nice when i put in a new battery. takes alot of power to make that 472 get going. i also have a 69 cadillac coupe deville. now i have tranny problems :rant2: i have a thread posted on it. if anyone can help just search 69 coupe deville problems and if you can help i would be grateful

1 - 7 of 7 Posts