Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Cadillac Coupe Deville
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of the best sites to order things like chrome engine dress up kits for the 472 and also looking for trunk pan as well. Also could use bumper corners on rear. Also wondering how one might put a cd player in the slot where the old stereo is? It seems kind of a tight and awkward spot. I plan on building a console for cup holders and other goodies but no more custumation than needed to get it up to date as far as a stereo and maybe a coil pack and exhaust system. I also am looking for a site that carries the headlight replacements/conversions for the old yellow type bulbs. Anyone with ideas I would be terribly grateful. Thanks Cadillac brothers.

·
Registered
1975 hearse, 1976 hearse
865 Posts
Try www.500cid.com for cadillac high performance engine stuff. I've seen engine dress up kits in their pictures. Trunk pan? The trunk floor perhaps? Very common rust area on 67-70's. Cadillacville.com may have parts. There's also another supplier mentioned somewhere here, but I can't remember their name - also try desert valley Auto Salvage in Nevada. Ditto for bumper parts.

Stereo installations are tricky. Back in 69 there were few aftermarket radio choices, with most being bulky under-dash 8 track tape decks that frequently got stolen. The 69 cadillac radio slot was for the proprietary radio. Sadly, there are few choices. there is one company that advertises in Hemmings motor news that makes stereos that fit in old car dash panels with minimum cutting. You may want to check that.

For engine updates, the old points ignition systems in the 60s don't make anywhere near enough spark energy for todays low volatility fuels. Installing a modern ignition system is paramount to making the ole' gal run better. While you're at it, you may seriously want to consider replacing the Quadrajet carburetor with a more modern unit like a holley or barry grant. Q-jets were advanced and state of the art - for their day - but won't work as well with today's low volatility fuels. Replacing it with a moderately sized (400 CFM or so) carburetor will give WAY better throttle response, engine performance and fuel economy.

Oddly, for a while many people didn't understand the benefits of high energy solid state ignition systems. they frequently removed them to retro fit older points style ignition systems. Now - most have seen the light. The more energy you can blast thru the spark plugs the better the fuel will burn.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts