Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I'm gonna start a new "project" this week, I have always wanted a
1969-1970 Eldorado, and now there is actually 2 for sale here in Sweden.
They are both in exellent condition, so I guess I'll take the one i like most.

I'm gonna try to see how fast i can run the 1/4 in one of these, I was thinkin' about getting the edelbrock manifold, a cam, exhaust, shiftkit and stall converter and so on...Does anyone here have experiance about these cars? Is it hard to get the tires to "hook" with FWD? Will I break anything?
These cars are pretty quick bone stock I guess, around 16.3 sec 1/4
To me it's one of the best looking caddies ever.....
Hope you can give me some ideas!!!

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Nice! sounds like a very cool project.

Everything you mentioned would be great for performance. As you mentioned, the car is FWD, the only thing I would be worried about is breaking the CV shafts, replacements are hard to find and expensive.

Also I don't know if normal TH400 parts will fit the TH425 (?)...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm gonna ask a friend about the th425, I think it's the same tranny, just a diffrent housing....heres a picture of the 1970 Btw, nice color?

·
Banned
1976 Eldorado project
1,631 Posts
I love that 1970, very sharp.

I'm pretty sure that I have heard a converter made for TH400 will work with the TH425, might want to check up on that though.

This isn't a Honda, the CV shafts are tougher than most think, but definitly still the weakest point.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
well, keep in mind the TH425 actually wraps around and sits NEXT to the engine, and is connected by a chain.

the CV shafts are all that weak... but if you start building up a 500, you are talking 500hp/600ft-lbs torque atleast, that, trying to move a car that weighs almost 6,000lbs on any given day, is gonna put alot of stress n the stock driveline... and the CV shafts are the weak point.

Of course by that time, traction will be an issue, so as long as you keep stree radials on it, it should be ok....

Keep in mind the 1970 Eldorado was factory rated at 400hp and 550ft-lbs of torque.... so it is already a heavyweight from the factory. Of course that is the old way of ratings which really isn't true, I think the real power output of the 1970 Eldo was 320hp/470 ft-lbs torque.... which is still very cool :)

I like the 1970 Eldorado..., well, personally I like '72 better, but the '70 just has a stealth look to it, and the only 400/550 500 from the factory :)

·
Banned
1976 Eldorado project
1,631 Posts
You are right, I should talk about this after I put my built 509 in and try it out. :)

I do agree that CV shafts are the weak point, definitly. I just don't think that they are as weak as people think, but you do have a point about the power and weight.

·
Registered
Too many...
878 Posts
Night Wolf said:
well, keep in mind the TH425 actually wraps around and sits NEXT to the engine, and is connected by a chain.

the CV shafts are all that weak... but if you start building up a 500, you are talking 500hp/600ft-lbs torque atleast, that, trying to move a car that weighs almost 6,000lbs on any given day, is gonna put alot of stress n the stock driveline... and the CV shafts are the weak point.

Of course by that time, traction will be an issue, so as long as you keep stree radials on it, it should be ok....

Keep in mind the 1970 Eldorado was factory rated at 400hp and 550ft-lbs of torque.... so it is already a heavyweight from the factory. Of course that is the old way of ratings which really isn't true, I think the real power output of the 1970 Eldo was 320hp/470 ft-lbs torque.... which is still very cool :)

I like the 1970 Eldorado..., well, personally I like '72 better, but the '70 just has a stealth look to it, and the only 400/550 500 from the factory :)
While the CV's are the weak point they will never experience all that power from a dead stop because the wheels are going to break loose far before that peak performance. And spinning tires is hardly any stress at all on the CV's. That is true with these cars, however, when you start getting into REAL powerhouse drag cars (entirely possible with these engines but the price of that kind of power is quite impoverishing) its time to start worrying about the inertial force of the cv/wheel assembly coupled with the incredible snap (instantaneous torque) that the engine puts out.
Same thing goes for the rims... whens the last time you have seen a spun out rim on a street car??? :hmm:

With the type of modifiying you are doing you shouldnt have to worry about the CV's snapping, the tranny exploding, or the rims turning into firepits... Throw a blower on there and then you should think twice about these things ;) And yes, the TH425 has the same guts as TH400 just the differential is right underneath it!)

·
Banned
1976 Eldorado project
1,631 Posts
Right on JTraik. I was really doubting I would snap one, but once again, they are still the weakest point, even if they aren't very weak at all.

I wouldn't be worrying about spinning out rims if I could even find one that would fit! (3.31 offset!) However, I think what I am going to do is blast the stock wheels, grind the cutouts smooth, and then paint them a real rich gloss black and then do some chrome closed end lugs and a chrome center cap.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Yeah, these cars are traction limited in stock form.

I wasn't saying that the CV shafts will blow up the second he starts driving... but that it is the weak point, and just be ready in case they do go... having a spare, new left/right shaft on hand would be smart. Keep in mind, these shafts are already 36 years old or so... quite a bit of wear can happen in that time.

But I think overall it should be fine... your biggest issue is going to be trying to get that thing to accelerate quickly... just hope your not pulling out onto a hill and turning at the same time.... smoke show! :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can't wait to get started:cool2: , I think I'm gonna drive up there this weekend and check out that 1970, the 1969 is green, thats a color I like, but the 1970 got the 500:cool:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've just e-mailed http://www.500cid.com/index.html, and asked them
if he can sell me the parts I want, cam, valvetrain, intake, carb, and converter...I'm going up in Friday to take a look at the 1970 Eldo, it's a former Californa (san Diego) car, no rust what so ever, and painted in parts by proffesionals, the guy is asking $12k for it.....

·
Registered
Too many...
878 Posts
JimsEldorado said:
I've just e-mailed http://www.500cid.com/index.html, and asked them
if he can sell me the parts I want, cam, valvetrain, intake, carb, and converter...I'm going up in Friday to take a look at the 1970 Eldo, it's a former Californa (san Diego) car, no rust what so ever, and painted in parts by proffesionals, the guy is asking $12k for it.....
Why is it that californians think they can get so much money for their cars all the time??? They arent the only ones selling nice cars!

Anyways, 12k is alot of money for an unrestored eldo of that vintage. How many miles are on it? That may change things, but thats a steeeep price man.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts