Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1968 sedan deville
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After months of searching I found and purchased a 1968 sedan deville yesterday. The car is in amazing condition. My intentions are 20" or 19" rims and bags. Does anyone have any idea what size rim I should be looking for(width, bolt pattern, offset etc.) I am trying to price out rims but none of the online vendors I have looked at show anything for a 68 deville(most do not show anything older that 1980). Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
Stock rims are 9" wide I believe, I wouldn't go wider than that (not like many 20"s are wider than that anyway.)

·
Registered
1970 Sedan deVille hardtop
595 Posts
9"?!? I didn't think they ever put anything that wide on anything but a 'vette! My '70 has 6 or 7" rims, and there isn't much extra room for particularly wide rims.

The key is finding rims with a 5x5 bolt pattern to match the Caddy. Not as many rims have that.
You will also want to look at your current rims very carefully. I examined my car when thinking about wider rims and found that the rear wheels are really close to the fender skirts to begin with, but had some room on the inside, so the rear could probably get 1" wider with 1" more backspace. The front rims were really close to the upper a-arm on the inside, but had some room on the outside, so probably a 1" wider rim with the same backspace. Larger diameter rims will probably solve the problem with the a-arm, allowing an wider rim up front with more backspacing, but in the rear there simply wasn't room for anything more than 1" wider than stock without adding tubs...
Of course, this is only from looking at my '70 SDV - YMMV, so check your car out and see where there is room. Remember to allow for suspension and steering movement of course.

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
Sorry, meant tires not rims. Not sure how wide the rims are. My 75 had the same size tires originally, currently riding on 235/75/15 radials.

·
Registered
1970 Sedan deVille hardtop
595 Posts
Okay, that makes much more sense. I wish I could fit 8 or 9" rims on my Caddy, they'd properly support the tires for better handling.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts