Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1964 Sedan DeVille
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I am having some issues with my 64 SDV. Brakes were all serviced and lines redone 2 years ago. About 3 months ago I started to notice a soft pedal every so often. A few pumps would resolve the issue however its progressively gotten worse.

I live in Australia so parts are not easy to come by, and not cheap. I am planning to investigate this weekend (long weekend) and see if there are any leaks via the hoses and lines. My reservoir was about half full which would suggest a leak somewhere in the system (pic attached). I have had a quick look last night and couldn't see any obvious line leaks, which makes me think its the MC leaking into the booster.

Other issue is I have no idea if I have the Delco or Bendix unit as the one on my SDV (pic attached) if different to the shop manual.

Am I better off buying a new MC and booster - starting again? I found this in Australia but not sure if it will fit....

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/170950667433?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Any suggestions?
IMG_5929 (800x600).jpg
IMG_5925 (800x600).jpg

·
Registered
Something German S, 69 Eldorado, 68 Impala, If I tell you the rest, well
504 Posts
If you don't find any leaks anywhere else, more than likely MC. The only way you will know just un bolt it from the booster, and if so, will be wet, if not visible for some reason just feel the back of the MC. Easy fix buy new one, bench bleed, then bleed brakes. If you don't know how to bench bleed. Just buy the kit screw in right size fittings, install tight fitting hose and submerge the lines in one in front and one in the back. (want it air tight to keep air out and get air out) and push the piston in till no air runs through the lines 50-100 times. With fluid in.

If you take off the MC be very careful with the lines they strip really easy. Don't pull the wrench to loosen the lines instead smack the wrench or give your hand a good hit/smack on the wrench so it doesn't strip, shocks it loose a little, but if really tight use a penetrating oil to help.

Also to add bendix or delco MC depends on what booster you have, bendix or delco.

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
You can pull the master cyl. away from the booster leaving the lines intact on the master. Simply remove its 2 mounting nuts and pull out gently. It should be bone dry on the shaft and surrounding area where the 2 meet. I believe the difference between the 2 boosters is the length of the rod either to the master or to the pedal.

·
Registered
Something German S, 69 Eldorado, 68 Impala, If I tell you the rest, well
504 Posts
The different brands will also have same and different piston lengths, ran across it couple of times. Make sure you have the correct lenght. Pretty sure you can't you a bendix MC with delco booster and like wise.

When checking a leaking MC, I hope someone doesn't take off the lines.

·
Registered
1964 Convertible, 1974 Corvette coupe, 1974 Corvette Vert
80 Posts
paulmac,

I'm in Melbourne and have had excellent results with All American Auto Parts in Ballarat 03 5339 6533 or www.allamericanautoparts.com.au. They have lots of Cadillac parts as well as other GM products. It might also be a good idea to consider fitting a rebuild kit in your existing MC as you know it fits your car. Call me if you need any other help, I'm home Sunday and most days and nights.

Regards from Down Under

aussiejohn
Highett Vic
03 9502 3227

·
Registered
1964 Sedan DeVille
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ordered a new MC from Chev Parts in Sydney. My unit is a Delco - which is great the Bendix ones are pricey!
Hopefully have time to do the replace over the next few days. Cost was $165 for the MC.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts