Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
None
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys

My name´s Markus,I´m from austria and my girlfriend is looking for a 59 Eldorado.
well,we have no clue ´bout the weakspots we shell look for,so i thought you guys can help us a little bit!
what do we have to look for?
what are the typical weak spots?
do you may know some eldorado´s in good condition,perhaps already in europe?
shouldn´t cost more than 30000€ or 40000$
thx for your help :thumbsup: ,

kind regards Markus

·
Registered
1975 hearse, 1976 hearse
865 Posts
Good luck. 59 Eldorados are hyper over priced and there are many fakes. When the 59 craze came about many people took the more common series 62 and "made" it into an eldorado.

I've seen those things bring anywhere from US$60,000 to way over US$100,000 and that was for a vehicle that I would not spend money on.

Remember, you buying a 50+ year old vehicle with drum brakes, AM radio, no tilt wheel or other amenities you've come to expect. If you modify or upgrade it, the value goes in the trash. If that's ok and you don't mind spending big money, then search and you will find. BUT, buyer beware. I read someplace that there are more 59 Eldorados now than there were in 59!

·
Registered
None
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good to know :2thumbs:

well,i just talked to her,and she just likes the appearance of the car.
so a series 62 would be nice too.

we know it´s an old car,so that´s why we are asking you guys to help us,instead spending a lot of money for some crap,just because we don´t know what the weak spots are ;)

kind regards

·
Registered
1975 hearse, 1976 hearse
865 Posts
Well, if that's the case, buying a Series 62 would save you a considerable amount over an Eldorado.

Weak spots, RUST! Floors and trunks are notorious spots for rust. Lower rear quarters and bumpers too.

Check brakes!

Buy as original a car as you can, and granted this may be a bit tough as many of these things have been played with. The reason is that much of the trim is long out of production and unavailable. If there has been work, make sure it's completed. Sounds funny, but buying someone elses half way done project can be a real nightmare - I've been there.

Hemmings Motor News from Bennington Vermont is an excellent place to start looking.

·
Registered
58 Coupe Deville, 77 Coupe deville, 90 Deville
184 Posts
One possible weak spot on these is the lower A frames on the front suspension. Years ago I had a 61 convertable that had problems with the A frames pretty much ripped out of the frame. Took a lot of welding to fix it and even then they ripped out later. As stated, its an old car it would be a good idea to check it out throughly, including checking the frame for metal fatigue in the front suspension area.

·
Registered
None
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually we´re looking for original+good condition cars only,i already know the problems you gonna have buying a half way project...
spent a lot of time and money in my 87 silvia...

we found one in the netherlands,would be nice to get your opinion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts