Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2013 CTS Premium, 2009 3.6 DI AWD Performance Package, 2003 Seville STS
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've seen lots of info regarding spare tires on the forum but nothing regarding 19" wheels. I have 19" OEM V wheels on my 2013 CTS and an 18" spare. Unfortunately I've had 2 occasions that I had to use the spare and I won't do it again. The last time the car didn't want to drive. Can the Cadi 19" wheel fit in the spare tire compartment without the extra's? What can I do to get a usable spare for this car? Is there a 19" donut for the CTS-V?

I'd appreciate any help anyone has to give. I figure I'm on borrowed time not having a usable spare.

·
Registered
2009 SRX V6 RWD, 2011 CTS Premium Coupe
435 Posts
GM has deemed that because of CAFE, we are not entitled to spares. Same thing in my GXP. Wouldn't it be nice if automakers could come up with a better solution for higher MPG than lightening the car?

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
11,131 Posts
GM has deemed that because of CAFE, we are not entitled to spares. Same thing in my GXP. Wouldn't it be nice if automakers could come up with a better solution for higher MPG than lightening the car?
There's no appropriate space for a spare in the coupe, plain and simple.
A spare tire was available for sedans and wagons.

·
Registered
11,131 Posts
Hi, I've seen lots of info regarding spare tires on the forum but nothing regarding 19" wheels. I have 19" OEM V wheels on my 2013 CTS and an 18" spare. Unfortunately I've had 2 occasions that I had to use the spare and I won't do it again. The last time the car didn't want to drive. Can the Cadi 19" wheel fit in the spare tire compartment without the extra's? What can I do to get a usable spare for this car? Is there a 19" donut for the CTS-V?

I'd appreciate any help anyone has to give. I figure I'm on borrowed time not having a usable spare.
What do you mean when you say "the car didn't want to drive"?

Here's a link to a helpful thread from the V subforums...

·
Registered
2010 CTS4 sedan
1,135 Posts
I wondered the same thing and also wondered if perhaps the OP's total wheel/tire circumference was larger than OE spec by enough that the spare had rotate too much - which would have messed up the traction control / stabilitrak. IDK

·
Registered
**2014 CTS4 Sport Wagon-Luxury**
2,479 Posts
I think the OPs issue may be with the OEM 19" V wheels that didn't come on his CTS from the factory...as mentioned, perhaps the original spare is incompatible with the added V wheels and tires...

aren't the optional 19 inch wheels for the CTS 19 X 8.5 and the wheels for the CTS-V 19 X 9 and 19 X 9.5???

I think the CTS-V guys only got the tire inflator kit...no spare...

Bill

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Here's a link to a helpful thread from the V subforums...
When the 18" spare is on the car I hear and feel a grinding coming from, possibly, the rear of the car. If I remember correctly the last time when stepping on the gas the car wouldn't move. If I stepped on the gas harder the grind was much worse.

Saw that link, was still dealing with an 18" spare. I already have an 18". I wasn't aware that the V's came with a tire inflator. SMH

My understanding of an AWD is that all wheels and tires have to be the same. If there are drivers out there with 19" wheels I don't see how their using 18" spares.

·
Registered
11,131 Posts
When the 18" spare is on the car I hear and feel a grinding coming from, possibly, the rear of the car. If I remember correctly the last time when stepping on the gas the car wouldn't move. If I stepped on the gas harder the grind was much worse.

Saw that link, was still dealing with an 18" spare. I already have an 18". I wasn't aware that the V's came with a tire inflator. SMH

My understanding of an AWD is that all wheels and tires have to be the same. If there are drivers out there with 19" wheels I don't see how their using 18" spares.

Ah, your profile doesn't state that your '13 is AWD.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Has anyone ever tried to fit the oem 19” wheel in the spare compartment?

·
Registered
11,131 Posts
Has anyone ever tried to fit the oem 19” wheel in the spare compartment?
The easiest thing to do is measure your tire/wheel and measure the spare well.
It might work if the 19" tires have a shorter sidewall than your current spare.

·
Registered
2009 CTS 3.6L DI rebuilt to FE3 J55 G80 3.42:1
1,350 Posts
The wheel diameter doesn't matter, the tire diameter does. The OD of an OEM 235/50-18 is very close in diameter to OEM 245/45-19 which in turn is very close to the diameter of the 135/80R18 spare, which is the size I use from ModernSpare.com. Which may be the same as OEM. It works fine with stability control on my RWD.

It sounds like you have changed wheels, but didn't bother to post the tire sizes you're using. You may have deviated from the OEM tire diameter that is close to the spare diameter, causing stability control problems due to the mismatch.

You can't fit a full-size spare in a gen II trunk because the wheel width is greater than the well depth, although I see nothing wrong with the space-saver spare when used with OEM tire diameters. If you need a larger-diameter spare to match an increase in diameter from the stock tire OD you're out of luck - it won't fit in the spare tire well diameter.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The wheel diameter doesn't matter, the tire diameter does. The OD of an OEM 235/50-18 is very close in diameter to OEM 245/45-19 which in turn is very close to the diameter of the 135/80R18 spare, which is the size I use from ModernSpare.com. Which may be the same as OEM. It works fine with stability control on my RWD.

It sounds like you have changed wheels, but didn't bother to post the tire sizes you're using. You may have deviated from the OEM tire diameter that is close to the spare diameter, causing stability control problems due to the mismatch.

You can't fit a full-size spare in a gen II trunk because the wheel width is greater than the well depth, although I see nothing wrong with the space-saver spare when used with OEM tire diameters. If you need a larger-diameter spare to match an increase in diameter from the stock tire OD you're out of luck - it won't fit in the spare tire well diameter.
I'm actually running 255/45/19 which is quite different from the stock size. So apparently the spare tire is 5.3" which won't work with my 28" tires. This is why I hoped to be able to go with a full size spare.

·
Registered
2010 CTS4 sedan
1,135 Posts
I'm actually running 255/45/19 which is quite different from the stock size.
That has a 2236 mm circumference vs the stock 18s with OE spec at 2173 mm. That is not a huge difference (~3%) and shouldn't cause fits with the ABS/traction control. What is the tire size on the spare??

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That has a 2236 mm circumference vs the stock 18s with OE spec at 2173 mm. That is not a huge difference (~3%) and shouldn't cause fits with the ABS/traction control. What is the tire size on the spare??
According to Lifespeed the spare size is 135/80R18 .

1 - 20 of 44 Posts